Sign in to follow this  
zigzagcreations

indicative market price.

zigzagcreations    10
zigzagcreations

hi! just a question or 2 regarding INDICATIVE MARKET PRICE" who determines that price?how do i know that an item i am bidding on is truly sold at that price in the market place? i have seen items that have very high indicative market prices and know that they are not sold in the market place at those prices.

is this not a ploy to push up bidding by overstating the indicative market price?

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
hi! just a question or 2 regarding INDICATIVE MARKET PRICE" who determines that price?how do i know that an item i am bidding on is truly sold at that price in the market place? i have seen items that have very high indicative market prices and know that they are not sold in the market place at those prices.

is this not a ploy to push up bidding by overstating the indicative market price?

Its a joke , as you stated its a ploy to push up a cheap products price to seem ,,hey wow,,

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

Always do a bit of checking on google first before you bid on a "high value" item. That way you can get a rough retail est.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

This is a purposely misleading plot to generate higher prices. It's always difficult to judge as an item is being bought on a picture and description alone. Only once you've received the item, had it inspected by a professional, will you be faced with the realization that you've either bought a dudd or a bargain.

I too find myself in this situation. I purchased a ring at a "bargain price" with a decent indicative value - being a 2ctw ring.

Although it's a while back, I had a buyer now interested in the ring and had it valued for them before they come to collect. I had the ring polished to its natural state and when I collected the ring and the valuation (from a reputable manufacturer and jeweler), the value was R33 000 less than what the seller stated.

If it was 1K out, I would still have accepted it, but 33K?

Obviously, my buyer did not take the ring as it was not as described to them.

Whether some sellers are thumb-sucking these figures I don't know, but that they're taking buyers for a ride is a fact!

When I advertise my indicative prices, they are genuine as supplied by our jeweler and manufacturer, but in most case, I do not state this info as with the rand dollar exchange, prices do fluctuate.

I think sellers who purposely mislead buyers should be addressed by BoB and issued with warnings - if there is proven documentation from the buyer that the sale was based on misleading information from the seller.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

Unfortunately there are many Sellers that don't seem to research the price before putting a figure in ! I only occassionally put an indiative price in if I can find a few sources to get an average from. If you only have one source then you cannot be sure it hasn't been inflated ! I think as a Buyer you need to use common sense and to also do a little homework. Often I'll read a listing and wonder what that seller was on to come up with those figures !

zigzagcreations    10
zigzagcreations

thanks for the response. still i find this unacceptable.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
thanks for the response. still i find this unacceptable.

You as a buyer have to do your own research and ensure u only bid to the price u want to pay.

Would u buy a car without checking a few dealers to see if the price is market related?NO,so its the same principle.do your research and dont get burnt.

neil

librashares    10
librashares

Scroll to the bottom of the BoB page, under the heading "SELLING", is "ITEMS SOLD". Click on that and search in the appropriate category for similar or the same item you are intending to bid on. Why be in a hurry to experience the disappointment of possibly having paid too much? A little time spent on research will reap rewards!