Sign in to follow this  
ZarLady

ZAR Gradings

ZarLady    10
ZarLady

After some research and digging I have seen that Z.A.R Coins are amazing. I compiled a population report taking the 2 biggest grading institutions in the world and also the most used for Z.A.R coin grading.

As my report shows the 1898/99 Pond “99 over stamp” has remarkably few graded and so the MS61 and higher grades are minimal at only 9.

Strangely NGC only ever graded 1 “99 over stamp” and it achieved a grading score of MS62.

Similarly the Coarse Beard of 1874 has cumulatively only 21 graded of which only 10 are MS61 and above. Although of all the Z.A.R coins only one MS67 has been achieved and as uncanny as it may seem it is a Fine Beard Burgers pond of 1874 bring to mind the old saying of the older the berry the sweeter it gets.

Z.A.R coins have achieved absolute collector’s status over the past few years, if you look at recent auction results for these coins you would be amazed at the prices they’ve reached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5104[/ATTACH]

Recently I spoke to a gentlemen who has placed his 10year cumulative collection on auction and has put a minimum reserve of R40mil on it, just wonderful.

I am sharing my tally of the Z.A.R graded coins with you in this post, I hope you find it informative just click the link.

As I’ve seen and also as I’ve heard speculations the Hern’s catalogue prices are now almost out of date on some of these prestigious coins, where a coin is said to cost R400k I have personal experience of that coin being sold for almost 600-800k and that’s not on auction amazing !

Coin Population Report Photo by DragoniaGotha | Photobucket

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri
After some research and digging I have seen that Z.A.R Coins are amazing. I compiled a population report taking the 2 biggest grading institutions in the world and also the most used for Z.A.R coin grading.

As my report shows the 1898/99 Pond “99 over stamp” has remarkably few graded and so the MS61 and higher grades are minimal at only 9.

Strangely NGC only ever graded 1 “99 over stamp” and it achieved a grading score of MS62.

Similarly the Coarse Beard of 1874 has cumulatively only 21 graded of which only 10 are MS61 and above. Although of all the Z.A.R coins only one MS67 has been achieved and as uncanny as it may seem it is a Fine Beard Burgers pond of 1874 bring to mind the old saying of the older the berry the sweeter it gets.

Z.A.R coins have achieved absolute collector’s status over the past few years, if you look at recent auction results for these coins you would be amazed at the prices they’ve reached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5104[/ATTACH]

Recently I spoke to a gentlemen who has placed his 10year cumulative collection on auction and has put a minimum reserve of R40mil on it, just wonderful.

I am sharing my tally of the Z.A.R graded coins with you in this post, I hope you find it informative just click the link.

As I’ve seen and also as I’ve heard speculations the Hern’s catalogue prices are now almost out of date on some of these prestigious coins, where a coin is said to cost R400k I have personal experience of that coin being sold for almost 600-800k and that’s not on auction amazing !

Coin Population Report Photo by DragoniaGotha | Photobucket

Hern’s catalogue prices for ZAR coins under MS condition are totally overpriced.

A simple example - he catalogues an 1898 Penny in EFcondition at R1000 but the going rate is R100.

In MS condition, the catalogue is virtually useless because we don’t know if he is referring to a coin in MS61 or a coin in MS67.

The only catalogue that will really add value to a collector’s needs, is one based on sales of GRADED coins by reputable companies over say the last 12-month period.

Hern’s catalogue (or any coin catalogue) will probably become obsolete in the following 5 years – it will only survive if its coin’s values are based on actual sales of graded coins by reputable companies during the last 12 months before the publication of the catalogue.

Pierre