Sign in to follow this  
Vinyl Lady Decals

Split up the books category

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi to all

I don't often post on the forum, but was wondering if anyone else has noticed how massive the books category has got?

I was wondering if it might not be a good idea to ask BoB to split it up again. Maybe into Books Non-Fiction, Books Fiction and Ebooks.

What doe the other users think?

Regards

Linka

Please have a look again and you will see there are 12 categories under books plus all their own sub-categories.

;)

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi

I work in the books category so ma well aware of all the sub categories. That's not what I mean.

There are over 40 000 listing in the books category, by far the biggest.

I mean to split up the category so that there are three separate books categories on the main page.

Linka

What makes me mad are all the e-Books listed under other categories, for instance in the last Snap Friday Auction.

;)

Vinyl Lady Decals

This is the very reason, why I don't port to the forum. it has degenerated into an attack zone. won't bother again.

Linka

I am sorry..... this was not an attack on you or anybody else. I just mentioned that I love books and I get mad if I click onto what I thought was a real book and it turns out to be an e-book....... time and time again.

You are free to give your views on anything you want. I at first just thought you did not realize there were more sub-categories under Books & Education.

I am sorry to have offended you........

Vinyl Lady Decals

Thanks for the apology. I have read through the forum regularly and am always amazed how a serious topic can be hijacked and turned into an attack on some innocent person.

I understand about the ebooks, but I can tell you that one of the reasons why ebook sellers have ventured out of the ebooks category is because the they don't get exposure because the books category is so huge. It is seriously affecting sales for ebook and normal book sellers. I'm sure most book sellers would agree.

I am sure most ebook sellers also make sure that the ebooks listed in other categories are relevant to that category. Ebooks have become very popular and there are many buyers that prefer them because they are more convenient and less bulky. Many would never even consider going into the ebooks category because they don't have exposure to ebooks.

I have seen a lot of attacks on ebook sellers on the forum and what the other sellers perhaps don't realise is that these sales are often a introduction to Bid or Buy for new users. Hopefully they will have a good experience and go on to buy bigger and nore expensive items on BoB.

The only way to get any exposure at the moment is to use the paid listings. I'm sure many book sellers don't want to use paid listings for books that aren't particularly valuable.

What does concern me are all the "ebooks" that are being sold illegally without licenses. I have reported this to BoB, but don't know if anything has been done. There are several sellers that have bought romance or comic books in ebook format and they are selling them on BoB. I have had a look at the official websites where these books are bought from and the terms and conditions clearly state that they may not be sold. Selling them is an infringement of copyright law. Ebooks are not the same as normal books in this regard.

I have literally thousands of legal ebooks (I have licenses to sell them if I wish) and also some copies of the illegal ones which I have put one side. I would never consider selling them. Getting caught is not worth the hassle, nor would my conscience allow me to.

mellowred

I would be in favour of splitting books and e-books as i think they attract entirely different buyers.

There is obviously a market for e-books as so many sell.

Personally I read mostly when in bed and don't find the laptop as comfortable as a book ;).

Vinyl Lady Decals

Thanks for the suggestion;)

dstorm

Hello all

I have nothing against ebooks (bought a couple myself on BoB and found it to be fantastic value for money), but they are not books!

So a separate category makes a lot of sense.

Regards

Jacques