Sign in to follow this  
Free Soul Styles

Returned Parcel from Post Office

Free Soul Styles

Hi guys,

I wanted to now from other sellers what they do when a parcel is returned to them?

I sent one out in January and it was returned to me end of April. I send all my buyers a message when their parcels are ready to collect at their post office (he got one too!). I have tried to contact the person, but he does not answer emails, texts or calls. When i emailed him i did mention he would need to repay the original shipping cost. I had to pay a returned item fee... Never knew there was that!

I have informed BoB, but i am curious as to what other sellers do when you get no replies or anything..... I feel bad sitting with paid coins AND the poor oom's money in my bank

He did not even rate me...

Cali Craft and Gems

I've had several returned parcels over the years, but more nowdays than before. The main irritation now is that the seller / sender has to pay a fee at the SAPO in order to get the parcel back.

What I do in this case is email the buyer using the messaging system on BoB (so that at least there is proof that I contacted him / her), explaining that their parcel has been returned, that I've paid the fee, etc and what procedure must be followed so that their parcel can be sent to them again.

Most times I get a response and the buyer pays the outstanding amount, and the parcel is on it's way again. But I have had several parcels over the years where the buyer simply never gets back to me. I keep these parcels aside for a year before opening them and relisting the item (with several reminders to the buyer in between!). Some sellers keep the unclaimed parcels for six months but the duration / time frame is your choice.

Free Soul Styles

I had to open the parcel to make sure everything was still there, but i get the just of it. I have emailed him etc... I'll keep it aside for a few months. Thanks for the reply!

NooNooBug

I do the same, email buyer through the system for proof if need be. I usually email again after a while if no response then I will leave the parcel for 6 months before relisting. I have had several, some will gladly pay the fees to get the item, some don't respond and then I have even had those that respond..."Oh I forgot, agh don't worry you can keep it" also the best..."I thought I had received it already "....I have a shelf with the returned parcels on it. I also tend to take photos of the stamps and returned labels with dates to use if there is a dispute.

Free Soul Styles

I've kept the original packaging, in case. Still no reply. Nor does he answer his phone. He has not bought from BoB since December... I'll keep trying. Thanks!

MiemsJewels
I've kept the original packaging, in case. Still no reply. Nor does he answer his phone. He has not bought from BoB since December... I'll keep trying. Thanks!

Really hope the oom didn't pass away....

Free Soul Styles

OMG!

Don't say that now! :surprised:

NooNooBug

That was my reaction to the very first one returned ! Kept on checking to see if there was any activity on his account. Was quiet for a few months and then got busy buying again so who knows. One gives the benefit of the doubt in case of illness and so waiting a period of 6 months or so is fair enough to see what happens !

luckybird

Im Getting allot of these lately as well. I also have the returned item Photographed, but this month alone i have had clients threaten me with reporting me to bid or buy, we sell quite a bit and would like to hear Bid or buys comments on this, I mean how can it be bad service, on our part if we have delivered on time and the items just sit at the post office, I would say we get as many as 4 a month. In some cases the clients never respond or ever come back to us.

Im interested in how this can reflect on ratings like this client the item was at their post office 4 days after sending from China, and we can receive a negative rating for that, it seems unfair. We used to just resend it but now we ask clients to pay for local transport again because a few times we have had items returned more than once. Just last week we had a client with such a case who collected because they failed to collect twice.

This is not bad service.

Free Soul Styles

I send out an email to all my buyers to collect their parcel (some are quicker to collect). I track each item that leaves my place. I know for a fact i sent him an email to collect, so i cannot be told that i didn't do my job properly.

I've seen many sellers with negative ratings because "postage was slow" or "took too long to deliver" which i think is unfair. If the seller does state that they are away or they can only post once a week then the buyer needs to understand that (most people NEVER read the info on the listings anyway).

I can do posting once a day (still a mommy and wife), Monday to Saturday. I send out tracking numbers within an hour after the payment is confirmed by BoB. But once that parcel leaves the post office i cannot be held responsible for the time taken to get to the buyer. Once i have full control of the Earth :laugh: i will take over the South African Post Office and make sure things run like a swiss made clock.... Until then, we are all at the mercy of slow downs, public holidays, strikes etc. :wink:

Free Soul Styles

I am not sure about some sellers keeping a buyer up to speed on the location of their parcels, some do, some don't really care, and some honestly can't due to other jobs, or are just too busy.

I try my best to inform my buyers of strikes or any issues. I don't know if my emails go through but i do it all via BoB so i have proof. I recently had a buyer tell me that my customer service is terrible because she has still not received her parcel. She was emailed 2 weeks ago to collect, and she even replied. Yet, i see it's still sitting at her post office!!! I've seen it so often on sellers ratings where a buyer will negative rate them for slow delivery or bad service. I'm not stressed, my ratings speak for themselves and i have all the proof that she was emailed regularly during the strike.

Short of getting on a plane and going to collect her parcel for her, i don't know what else to do. If the items get stolen or damaged the buyer will complain, even though i cannot be held responsible if the parcel was sitting around for 2 weeks! And she will be upset if the parcel is returned to me and i ask her to pay in again to resend it (not to mention the cost i have to pay for no delivery). Again, not my fault.

Not sure what else to do. If i do get a neutral or negative rating, i will inform BoB. If a buyer can order at 2am then i'm sorry, but they can take an hour out of their day to go collect it, post offices are also open on Saturdays....

Free Soul Styles

Quick question....

When a parcel is returned to the seller, there is a fee which needs to be paid. This fee depends on the weight of the parcel.

Do all sellers request this fee when they contact the buyer to repay for shipping? I had a parcel returned to me today and it cost me R46.20 (it was over a kilo), so now do i ask the buyer to pay again for shipping AND include that fee? If he refuses and demands a refund can i deduct that fee? That money is out of my own pocket....

Vinyl Lady Decals

This is what I add to my shipping email to the buyer.

"Please ensure that you collect your parcel timeously. Your post office will keep your parcel for you for one month before they send it back to me.

If that happens, you will need to pay double postage so that I can post it again.

I was informed in April 2010 that the post office now charges for the collection of returned parcels & then I will have to post it back again, thus the double postage charges.

This is not something I have control over, so PLEASE collect your parcel timeously.

I do not want you to have to pay double postage to receive your parcel a 2nd time.

I will inform you (via email) if your parcel is returned to my post office.

I cannot collect parcels unless you pay the double postage tariff."

Free Soul Styles

So BoB will obviously understand the double postage for returned parcels if a buyer does argue it?

Thanks VLD, i think i need to add that to my email when notifying a buyer to collect.

BABADAUD

Edited by BABADAUD

mrmouse

I simply dont collect returned parcells , the po can burn them

Vinyl Lady Decals

Anyone is welcome to use my notice as I have found that it cuts down on returned parcels and buyers that do not collect their parcels cannot say they weren't warned about the extra payment should they not collect.

Free Soul Styles

LOL at mrmouse!! :grin:

I could never do that, however, i do get why you say that.

BTW... I found out today that there is another slow down/strike at..... (3 guesses....) WITSPOS! (YAY!) Fun times ahead!