Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

Hard to Find Items In South Africa?

wayjen

What items are sought after in South Africa but not freely available there?

Is there an untapped market in SA that someone in the USA might be able to fill?

What would be a good seller on BoB, price permitting as it would have to shipped from the US?

Any ideas folks?

Free Soul Styles

I'd say sneakers, the rare ones, clothing as well. South Africa is not really up to speed with fashion. Also kids stuff. I know many "new age" moms who want funky toys and stuff for their kids and have to buy online. Like the M & M teddy bears, Care Bears that kind of stuff. There's a few American Style stores here in JHB that sell everything from cold drinks and candy to toys and even candy label headphones and mouse for pc's. They're always busy and very expensive.

Edited by Free Soul Styles
my spelling sux

wayjen

Thanks FSS, I know there are things here that would sell on BoB but it's trying to hit on "that thing" is the problem. The Chinese have wormed their way into South Africa and trying to compete with their items is a challenge. I have seen things in the US that made me wonder if they are available in stores in SA.

Your ideas are worth looking into I think.

RISadler

Off-white paper.

wayjen
Off-white paper.

Speaking of paper, if ever you see you running short of paper just open a word document on your pc and save that open document and print it. You have just added another sheet to the printer. repeat the cycle and soon you will have enough paper.

Little Miss Muffet

Naturally being in the vintage business I would say anything collectable made in the USA freely available there but not in South Africa.

Disney for example,coke items.

So Wayne have you defected permanently to the USA??

wayjen
Naturally being in the vintage business I would say anything collectable made in the USA freely available there but not in South Africa.

Disney for example,coke items.

So Wayne have you defected permanently to the USA??

Pammie, oh boy will you go crazy here. There is an old gentleman here who owns an antique business of sorts and his family owned a massive piece of ground here and people used to come far and wide (up to 5000 a weekend), to see his collection. Well because of the trouble it caused with local authorities, they had to sell off half the property and all which was left was sort of like a massive barn type building where he displayed all his antiques. His family became stinking rich and because the old man was rich but kept a tight reign on his money , they (his kids) ended up selling the ground out from under him and he is forced to either relocate or sell up. He is a wonderful man and funny and knows plenty and can tell stories and this might just be his downfall.

He now has a lady working for him who help start the biggest Swop Shop in Florida and she said to me I must offer this man $75 000.00 for his stock. Pammie if you want coca cola stuff he has it and some still in original packaging, if you want american pop culture he has it, if you want anything american that is not available anymore, he has it. You get overwhelmed by what he has collected over the years.

The thing with americans is, they don't so much see the value of items like we do in SA.

I know a few BoBbers, who would fall over themselves to get a piece of this gentleman's history and it's a pity what he is going through.

Little Miss Muffet

Sounds exciting.I sometimes wonder who will sort my junk out one day

wayjen
Sounds exciting.I sometimes wonder who will sort my junk out one day

Take it all with Pammie, even the Angels need fancy things sometimes.