Sign in to follow this  
EvanRothman

Looking to buy a watch...

EvanRothman    10
EvanRothman

Hello BidorBuy,

I'm looking to buy a watch from one of the sellers. It is an overseas seller, it seems. What is the Import Duty and VAT that I will need to pay? Is there a price guide somewhere I can view or calculate the import duty and VAT on a watch before I get hit with it from the Customs agents?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

alloway65    10
alloway65

There is no hard and fast rule, it all depends on the customs officer that checks your goods on the day, also what mood he is in.

Some packages I receive come straight to my door, others are stuck in customs for weeks while I source the appropriate paperwork they require, or due to some customs technical hitch.

I have stopped importing coins etc and now I only import stock for my Medical Supply Company...and do everything through an efficient Forwarder.

Good luck.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
Hello BidorBuy,

I'm looking to buy a watch from one of the sellers. It is an overseas seller, it seems. What is the Import Duty and VAT that I will need to pay? Is there a price guide somewhere I can view or calculate the import duty and VAT on a watch before I get hit with it from the Customs agents?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

customs has set prices for everything , if brought in legally and with a courier they will clear it for you under a code for low quantity items that they will have , you can bring in 3 such items per year , the price will include clearance and vat , on a R5000 watch you should pay around R800 as the import dutys on watches is around 18% , it should be brought in as FOB ,, Quoted from customs docs:

>>>>

Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into South Africa whether by a private individual or a commercial entity. The valuation method is FOB (Free on Board), which means that the import duty and taxes payable are calculated exclusively on the value of the imported goods. However, some duties are based part in value and part in quantity. In addition to duty, imports are subject to sales tax (VAT). Certain luxury or non-essential items (e.g. perfume) may be subject to additional ad valorem duties, and some commodities may be subject to anti-dumping or countervailing duties. Duty Rates Duty rates in South Africa vary from 0% to 45%, with an average duty rate of 18.74%. Some goods are not subject to duty (e.g. laptops, electric guitars and other electronic products). Sales Tax VAT applies to most imports at 14% of the sum of FOB value, any duty and excise payable, and a 10% upliftment of the FOB value.

>>>>

Use a reputable courier depending on country of origin , UK Europe and USA fedex and UPS are preferred , you can also let the supplier choose as they sometimes get favourable rates from the couriers .Average clearing time is 24 to 48 hours ive never waited more than 72 hours to clear anything , I doubt it will be inspected and delayed if only one item , dont use Royal Mail its cheaper but unreliable .Dont try to fool the system by giving a lower value ,, its illegal and you probably will get caught and have to pay penalties , Customs has access to all products pricing and if they think the value is to low they will check it and charge you according to the products listed retail value .Declare honestly especially on a watch .If you are buying it on ebay , mark it as TOYS and hope for the best , the SAPO will then charge a handling fee maybe R40 and vat on R500 ,if valuable or Christopher Ward believe me use a courier .

Edited by mrmouse

alloway65    10
alloway65

Agreed........I have found with my imports I am charged VAT on 110% of FOB value....this seems to be standard practice.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
Agreed........I have found with my imports I am charged VAT on 110% of FOB value....this seems to be standard practice.

sometimes things do slip through but very rarely on a watch from ebay for my wife a reputable brand not some thumbsuck alice and jane branded product i paid R45, and no vat which was unusual , the declared value was ZERO and marked as replacement parts , item was also opened and inspected resealed and re-marked as warranty replacement parts , who knows why .maybe because watch was only in a bubble wrap sheath in a brown envelope .

WATCHES 24 SEVEN    10
WATCHES 24 SEVEN

Good evening.

Yes you can Order from overseas that watch you want just ask Him/Her not to sent with Registered Airmail, you might wait another 3 months with the SAPO Strike to end.These Sellers are little cheaper too, but with the shipping fees He/She set up and Customs and Duties you will most likely pay more than Reputable traders with Stock local, because we done that for buyers who want a watch Tomorrow on Bodorbuy. We will personally assist you if you need a specific watch. We don`t Dropship Timepieces, rest assured. We carry stock, and it`s not cheap to get alot into South Africa from the USA. We use Fedex and DHL express.

Have a peek at some i have local in stock.

Items for sale from WATCHES 24 SEVEN on bidorbuy.co.za

Warm Regards

Sakkie

Edited by WATCHES 24 SEVEN