Sign in to follow this  
Xpedition

Insurance Fraud? --> possibly a new scam? Help?

Xpedition

Hi Guys,

I recently sold a Samsung Galaxy gear watch on Bidorbuy and offered Courier delivery.

Upon completing the order the buyer was extremely adamant about having his item insured. It was almost strange.

After having issues with my courier and after numerous frustrations I resorted to sending the parcel with Speed Services and giving a full shipping refund as a "peace offering" and made the mistake of not insuring the item.

Today I got a call saying he had received the parcel however the box is empty and I did not insure it. I have shipped over 2000 items with speed services and have never had a parcel opened or any theft.

Can anyone advise what recourse I have and if anyone else has encountered a similar situation? The buyer is located in Hillbrow however their ratings dont resemble that of an Insurance scammer.

speed240

From a legal standpoint, you had an agreement that the item would be insured. So that was a mistake on your part. But the item shouldn't have been signed for if there was any sign of tampering. Did you use the speed services bag? I've never had a problem in the 5 years I've used them.

Insurance has a max/capped of r2000 anyways iirc.

Xpedition

Yeah I know that I made a mistake not insuring the parcel.

The small box was packed into a padded envelope and sealed. That was then put into a Speed Services bag.

Just pointing this out to other sellers as a potential new scam :(

From a legal standpoint, you had an agreement that the item would be insured. So that was a mistake on your part. But the item shouldn't have been signed for if there was any sign of tampering. Did you use the speed services bag? I've never had a problem in the 5 years I've used them.

mrmouse
Yeah I know that I made a mistake not insuring the parcel.

The small box was packed into a padded envelope and sealed. That was then put into a Speed Services bag.

Just pointing this out to other sellers as a potential new scam :(

I would classify it as fraud untill the buyer can prove otherwise , it is impossible to open a speed services bag once sealed without damaging the bag extensively .the buyer would have noticed tampering on receipt so would the PO clerk ,on high value parts i video tape the part going into the bag and sealing of the bag .

mrmouse

I have been told the insurance option on prepaid bags is no longer available , whether true or not im not sure , if you buy a 2 kg bag it can be insured.

NooNooBug

Agree with you Mr Mouse ! You cannot rip the Speed Service Bag without some effort, and certainly not neatly unless you cut it ! It would be clearly visible to anyone in PO & someone receiving it ! And I think you are right about the Insurance not available on Prepaid bags, also recall something like that !

mrmouse
Agree with you Mr Mouse ! You cannot rip the Speed Service Bag without some effort, and certainly not neatly unless you cut it ! It would be clearly visible to anyone in PO & someone receiving it ! And I think you are right about the Insurance not available on Prepaid bags, also recall something like that !

PO will also not accept a bag that has been taped closed , those bags have almost made me cry trying to open them in a hurry .

NooNooBug
PO will also not accept a bag that has been taped closed , those bags have almost made me cry trying to open them in a hurry .

haha me too ! Can't rip can't bite! Even tried puncturing with a car key ! Not that easy !

mrmouse

whee this will be a hard one ,,, looking at buyers previous purchases he spends big , do you have personal insurance if so try claim from all risks , BUT communicate with this buyer .This aint no cardshark youre dealing with.

Edited by mrmouse

Free Soul Styles

Just to let you know, a few JHB branches of the post office have been experiencing insane amount of speed services bags being tampered with. In the last 2 days almost 40 bags were tampered with at my branch.

I collected one today and it looked perfect. Where they fold the bag to seal it, was intact. The invoice was even stuck over the sealed part for safety, and when i opened the parcel with the manager of the branch the envelope inside was open and empty. There was hole the length of an old R1 coin on the invoice straight through the bag. According to the manager other branches in JHB have the same problem. The bags look PERFECT. But the items inside are gone. I've now stopped using Speed Services when buying or selling. It's a big problem.

mrmouse

which branch is it ? im going to ask the Regional manager to comment on this post . and on theft rates .

Free Soul Styles

The Gardenview post office.

The staff actually told me when they see a Speed Services bag they want to walk away because there's a 90% chance it's been tampered with.

mrmouse
The Gardenview post office.

The staff actually told me when they see a Speed Services bag they want to walk away because there's a 90% chance it's been tampered with.

Great lets see if i get a response , i feel as a account paying customer i have a right to know if the service is safe .I wont be using Garden View.

Free Soul Styles

Lets see what they say.... I haven't had a problem sending out items. But receiving parcels is a problem. As i said earlier, the manager of that branch told me that almost 40 parcels have been tampered with. I deal with the staff there everyday, as i send out parcels daily. I have very little issues with parcels sent as normal post. It's getting out of hand, i mean that many parcels?!