Sign in to follow this  
qball

Sending items by post a NO-NO - Icasa

Vegar

I am sorry I evoked this sad memory. I cannot imagine how you must have felt, but I would think it is most devastating having to deal with one's grief and receiving the ashes unannounced. Very inappropriate and disrespectful to the family. I hope you took your sisters ashes and let her rejoin nature's natural cycle in a beautiful place.

I am sure people get weird and wonderful stuff via post - I guess that is why there is a new list.

Drugs have always made their way by post - in the sixties we got postcards from America ... nice stamps ;)

lilythepink

Thanks for your caring, Vegar. Just to put your mind at rest (and to have another smile!) we scattered her ashes near Rhodes Memorial on Table Mountain, where she and I used to walk our dogs. There was a strong wind blowing at the time and as the ashes blew away from us, they landed on the heads of two very surprised guinea fowl which we hadn't seen in the long grass ahead of us, until they popped their heads up! My sister had a tremendous sense of humour and I'm sure she was definitely smiling upon the scene. :)

OScrapKits

They'll need to be more specific about gun accessories too... Do they just mean live ammunition or a spare part like a trigger or even a rifle scope?

OScrapKits
Thanks for your caring, Vegar. Just to put your mind at rest (and to have another smile!) we scattered her ashes near Rhodes Memorial on Table Mountain, where she and I used to walk our dogs. There was a strong wind blowing at the time and as the ashes blew away from us, they landed on the heads of two very surprised guinea fowl which we hadn't seen in the long grass ahead of us, until they popped their heads up! My sister had a tremendous sense of humour and I'm sure she was definitely smiling upon the scene. :)

I love your sense of humour too!

Nubbi

man those really were some pretty good stamps back in the sixties!! LoL!

lilythepink

I love your sense of humour too!

Thanks, bestdean.

eidoB

Why are you folks including *guns* and *gun parts*?

What about folk that make their living selling and buying guns?

How should they ship them?

Please, do not discriminate or be fooled by government propaganda.

It is just as safe as shipping your favorite *Bra*, *knickers* or X-Rated movies.

lilythepink

@ eidoB - not sure I agree with you. "guns" and "gunparts" can easily fall into dangerous hands, whereas "bra's" and "knickers" don't pose many risks except to the wearers (lol). I'm not sure of the danger potential in X-Rated moves, however, as my flock don't watch them.

davan

In small print somewhere in the post office you will find - They have a right to open and inspect parcels.

Remember false declaration of an item - even if it is not in the customs environment can get you jail time.

"Goods" seems to be the appropriate choice for now.

SAPO also sends stuff Air Express sometimes and with the new laws with regard to cargo on airlines - its only appropriate that there will be changes with domestic mailing.

Just a btw comment. A friend of mine shipped a Ferrari from Johannesburg to Durban in a Container. He forgot to disconnect the battery terminals - Somewhere along the trip the battery exploded and ignited some other stuff and his Ferrari is now ashes and the truck and container were destroyed.

The truck was more than his Ferrari - he was sued for not disconnecting the terminals.

luckybird

I dont think this problem is unique, There are laws everywhere regarding what is considered safe sometimes they are enforced other times they are not. Recently i had a shipment for clients here on Bid or Buy returned to me with Great frustration because the box contained Lighters, ecigarettes and batteries.

Really they dont think do they, the lighters are empty (but the flints need to be removed) the ecigaretts (well the checker must be clueless) batteries well this is a bad one you have any idea how many comodities have batteries in them, some carriers refuse to ship CD's. the laws that are there to protect you end up harming you.

What can we do, With your new laws. some items sure i can imagine there needs to be some sort of regulation, especially inline with international norms but some items on your list i agree are a bit stupid.

Little Miss Muffet

Coins would affect too many folk on Bob. Nevertheless, I always send small items like coins or jewellery in a small box built up with cardboard to look like a book--and label it book.

I have being doing this ever since I had items stolen from envelopes.

How are the post office to know a coin is in the bag if it is labelled otherwise?

Naturally it would be better to complain so that we dont break laws that are" made to be broken":rolleyes:

eZethu Coins
Coins would affect too many folk on Bob. Nevertheless, I always send small items like coins or jewellery in a small box built up with cardboard to look like a book--and label it book.

I have being doing this ever since I had items stolen from envelopes.

How are the post office to know a coin is in the bag if it is labelled otherwise?

Naturally it would be better to complain so that we dont break laws that are" made to be broken":rolleyes:

Have been struggling with the coin thing too - so I now label my coin shipments as collectables - which they are - and they don't seem to attract any attention - and my handwriting for this borders on unreadable to help as well.

lilythepink
Have been struggling with the coin thing too - so I now label my coin shipments as collectables - which they are - and they don't seem to attract any attention - and my handwriting for this borders on unreadable to help as well.

Like I've said before, ALL my items get sent as "Personal Effects" and I have yet to lose a parcel coming or going! One parcel last year which I did mark as "Belly Button Fluff Brushes" just did a disappearing act - I don't know who in the Post Office ever needed to dust their belly-button but perhaps they do that whilst jumping on the parcels marked "fragile"? :cool:

eZethu Coins
Like I've said before, ALL my items get sent as "Personal Effects" and I have yet to lose a parcel coming or going! One parcel last year which I did mark as "Belly Button Fluff Brushes" just did a disappearing act - I don't know who in the Post Office ever needed to dust their belly-button but perhaps they do that whilst jumping on the parcels marked "fragile"? :cool:

Maybe where you come from "belly button fluff brushes" are normal and would not attract your attention - but not where I come from :D

lilythepink
Maybe where you come from "belly button fluff brushes" are normal and would not attract your attention - but not where I come from :D

You're right, Renaldo, I am NOT normal. (Must have suffered brain injury at birth - well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) :D

babyface2

yes that's what i do i just say goods impossible to itemise every item anyway

admin

Hi babyface2,

Your first post since 2007 :o Welcome to the Forum ;)

Pierre_Henri
and in those days the word "bra" was not mentioned in polite company!)

My fellow Cape friends still use that word so no giving away any age ...

HOEZIT MY BRA.........................

croakey

whale tooth ivory

I believe that whale teeth are considered as ivory. Does this mean I cannot sell a whale tooth on this site?:confused:

I also have an ivory bangle. Can I sell this here?

If you can't post ivory it would be expensive to courier it.

Edited by croakey

Miss Jewels

A hint from our post master was to write "non docs" on all my parcels. If you state the contents is jewelery, there is no insurance offered from SAPO if jewelery is being sent. This must be covered by an outside company or FedEx, DHL, etc or your own insurance company. Southerns has the right idea though. Who wants to steal broken/not working items?

Jip, "goods" seem the best route. The moment I write jewelery I know the parcel will go missing!

bitesize

uh oh

i wrote an article on buying x-rated movies online. that was about 3 years ago, it was also around the time when it was stated that sending naked pictures of yourself via an mms was illegal :embarrest:.

these seem like meaningless attempts to control what is allowed to be sent via post. ok so yes anyone can order anything these days and lie about their age and you wouldn't want your ex sending you something unhealthy. i bet that somewhere on that list you will also find knives, or soon find them on the list. didn't the government try to prevent sales of knives and so on? :toung: