Sign in to follow this  
qball

Sending items by post a NO-NO - Icasa

qball

Hi All

There was an interesting article in this morning's Star newspaper (page 2) about Icasa and drafting regulations making the sending of certain items by post, illegal. Icasa are busy drafting regulations regarding this and will include the following items:

Coins/money

guns and gun parts

furs

ivory

X-rated movies

perfumes

cigarette lighters

matches

paint

medicine...

to name a few - these items will not be allowed to be posted.

This may have an impact on sellers, and written comments can be sent by post to Icasa by 11 August.

We may consider a petition and send our grievances through as well.

Kind regards

Cuan

GoPro

I can understand guns and flamable / hazardous chemicals and stuff but why x-rated movies?

look smart
I can understand guns and flamable / hazardous chemicals and stuff but why x-rated movies?

lol, They should be very carefull about this, as one might start thinking that the SAPO is playing big brother, and that can be very scary, and damaging to both parties

We afrikaners have a saying that says "moenie krap waar dit nie juk nie", They are indeed stumbling into deep water, and everyone should get involved and protest against this, as if this law comes to pass, one can only think what is next to follow.

More and more our privacy is getting invaded, without any benifit,

Yes I can understand the guns and gun accessesories but the rest of this list hardly makes any sense.

GoPro

Perhaps it is to prevent minors buying something with an age restriction.

Isn't trade of ivory illigal?

look smart
Perhaps it is to prevent minors buying something with an age restriction.

Isn't trade of ivory illigal?

Yes but were does one draw the line, if I am going wrap up a black rhino horn or the tip of a elephant tusk and send it to hartenbos, then yes thats illigal. But many many many folks have some sort of ivory item in their houses, bought from verified jewellers that did not get that ivory on the black market.

mellowred

Most likely so that the postal workers know there is nothing of any value in all Post Office parcels and will stop pinching (?) ;)

Cali Craft and Gems

So they can't send medicine through the post... what about the standard procedure of getting your chronic medications that are sent from the distributor to your closest post office? Must the supplier wave the magic wand and the items will be at their destination?

They're just getting their knickers in a knot all over again...

look smart
So they can't send medicine through the post... what about the standard procedure of getting your chronic medications that are sent from the distributor to your closest post office? Must the supplier wave the magic wand and the items will be at their destination?

They're just getting their knickers in a knot all over again...

lol yeah come to think of it daddy gets his like that, the meds i mean not the knickers

lilythepink

Info on parcels

It's easy to overcome the problem - just list everything you send as "Personal Effects" and nobody knows what you've sent! I learnt this many, many years ago when I worked for an import/export company who used to import bras for Woolworths (and in those days the word "bra" was not mentioned in polite company!) Now I've given my age away! LoL

DestinysAngels

Or like me, i just say goods, short and sweet!

Cali Craft and Gems

I just state "craft samples" - even on gem packages! Imagine the theft rate if you state "precious gems"!

;)

Southerns

I learnt the trick of stating Warranty Returns or Faulty Returns

who's going to pinch it if it does not work,

Of course you need to warn the person recieving it not to panic :)

mellowred

I like that one Shane. May I use it?

jinxster78

Ah ha! Your secrets are out! Let me go do a data search on all SAPO items labelled... "faulty" and "samples" hehe.

Imagine you selling a GPS tracker which smses you, you turn it on then if it is stolen... you can find it hehe.

Asha Craft Jewellery

Jip, "goods" seem the best route. The moment I write jewelery I know the parcel will go missing!

birdie62

hehe you are a funny one hey jinx...cant wait for your next line keep them coming.

Vegar

At the post office there is a big sign saying you are not allowed to send flammables, liquids etc. which is understandable.

I just say ORNAMENT on the insurance slip.

I suppose that it is too much of a temptation for the postal workers if they know there could be money or wild movies in the sack ...

Perfume and medicine could cover cosmetics and aroma and herbal remedies. Does this mean that Bidorbuy would have to limit trade in these items? I sold an old Russian cigarette lighter last year - does that mean I will not be allowed to list stuff like that?

On the other hand, I believe one should never make it easy for the government to implement more control measures!

I will sign a petition to the effect that too stringent rules are harming small business entrepreneurs.

RISadler

All this talk of mislabelling items so it does not get stolen, makes me wonder what the deal is on doing the inverse? Send a broken (hence worthless) "GPS Receiver" or "Digital SLR Camera" to a buddy and insure it for replacement cost. When it gets stolen, you claim the insurance.

Obvious it is fraud, but the fraud is only commited when they (the PO) commit a crime.

But is it fraud if I send an actual, working item - with the intention of having it stolen so I can claim the insurance?

lilythepink
All this talk of mislabelling items so it does not get stolen, makes me wonder what the deal is on doing the inverse? Send a broken (hence worthless) "GPS Receiver" or "Digital SLR Camera" to a buddy and insure it for replacement cost. When it gets stolen, you claim the insurance.

Obvious it is fraud, but the fraud is only commited when they (the PO) commit a crime.

But is it fraud if I send an actual, working item - with the intention of having it stolen so I can claim the insurance?

Intention is always taken into consideration when a crime is committed. It can be aggravating circumstances!

Little Miss Muffet
Hi All

There was an interesting article in this morning's Star newspaper (page 2) about Icasa and drafting regulations making the sending of certain items by post, illegal. Icasa are busy drafting regulations regarding this and will include the following items:

Coins/money

guns and gun parts

furs

ivory

X-rated movies

perfumes

cigarette lighters

matches

paint

medicine...

to name a few - these items will not be allowed to be posted.

This may have an impact on sellers, and written comments can be sent by post to Icasa by 11 August.

We may consider a petition and send our grievances through as well.

Kind regards

Cuan

Who in South Africa would give a gun, coin even perfume as a description on a parcel anyway. It would not arrive at the other end. Heehee:p:rolleyes:

Vegar

RISadler - The criminal mind at work ? ;)

Every social system strives to become as efficient, productive and user friendly as possible. Then the criminals (anti-social psychopaths) get to work looking at the operative side of healthy social beings and figuring out how to bamboozle these innocent born-to-be-victims.

We recognize the criminal at work when they 'go for the gap' and see loopholes where the healthy person has a conscience to guide them in ethical behaviour.

The sentence: " But is it fraud if I send an actual, working item - with the intention of having it stolen so I can claim the insurance?" speaks for itself, it is called "Insurance fraud" ... duh

RISadler

Vegar, whilst I agree, I must point out that having our postal articles stolen by those to whom we've entrusted them is not very "efficient, productive and user friendly".

Anyway, is it really insurance fraud? My intention is not to defraud the postal authority. The goods posted are legit, working and valued at exactly the amount insured for. They steal it. If they don't, then I get the stuff back AND they made a profit on the postage and insurance paid by me.

Richmanpoorman

:confused:I notice that this short list does not include hard line drugs. Does that mean it'sacceptamle

Vegar

RiSadler;

Right, so you would go to the trouble of sending a package in the hope it gets stolen and you get the insurance money - which is the exact value of the item ... This is not what you were getting at originally - I thought you were talking about an insurance scam. As in: tempt them to steal the package and get the insurance - perhaps I misunderstood? Perhaps you have something else in mind which would make the exercise less futile?

Richmanpoorman;

Being in possession of hard line (or other) drugs is not acceptable in the first place ... hence it would not be on the list. Notice there were no body parts or cadavers on the list either :o

lilythepink

"Notice there were no body parts or cadavers on the list either"

Interesting comment this, especially as about 2 years ago I received a parcel slip in my home letterbox, telling me to collect a parcel at our local PO. I decided to walk, rather than take my car. Off I went to collect the parcel - only to discover it was my late sister's ashes. Needless to say, I walked all the way back home, with tears running down my cheeks and my sister under my arm. Today we smile about it, as I know my sister would also have been most amused.