Sign in to follow this  
TribalTrade

Volumetric Weight - Postal Charges.

TribalTrade    10
TribalTrade

As of today our Post Office converted to charging per Volumetric Weight for EVERY parcel, irrespective of size!

The Post Office booklet indicates that an Econoparcel should weigh less than 1Kg and not be larger in size than 458 x 324 x 100mm.

BUT: If you enter the following sizes (in centimetre as this is how the system works), then the parcel is no longer an Econoparcel even though the sizes and weight falls within the specified sizes / weight as mentioned:

EXAMPLE: Parcel weight is 0,85Kg and the size is 39 x 26 x 9cm. Divide this by 5000 = 1,83Kg. (Volumetric Weight). This has just become an Ordinary Parcel as the Volumetric Weight is bigger than the actual below 1Kg weight!

The charge has now gone up from R22, 80 to R47, 20 (R42, 20 first Kg + R5, 00 additional Kg).

BEWARE & TAKE NOTE!!! On top of that my time at the counter quadrupled!!

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

We had the exact same issue last year this time with the rate changes then. If it still stipulates Econoparcel dimensions etc in the new booklet (personally not in possession of one yet) then they cannot "bump" it into ordinary parcel. However if I recall last years debarcle it continued for many months in various Post Offices before they stopped. Luckily here an Econo is still an Econo. I will try and get hold of the new book & suss out if there are any new notifications that have been issued re. Volumetric & post info here on the forum.

TribalTrade    10
TribalTrade

OK... so I got the correct answers.

After some enquiries and discussions with our postal clerk, it seems that a "new" senior person instructed them to immediately start measuring parcels and charging clients for volumetric weight.

However, the Post Office Branch I use still have a PostLink system on their computers. Unless they have the new Wayberry system installed, there will be flaws in your charges.

The PostLink system is not upgraded to handle the new volumetric system, and automatically changes Econoparcels to Ordinary Parcels.

Many post offices across the country makes use of this practice wrongfully! People posting only one parcel every now and then will not query the charges. They just pay and go.

The Postal Clerk was informed to stop charging for volumetric weight until the new Wayberry System was installed.

:bigsmile: If that is ever going to happen....