Sign in to follow this  
Reliquiae

Petty Buyers...a rant.

Reliquiae

I'm really questioning whether I want to continue trading, and not just on BoB...

I have an inordinate amount of time, energy and money wasted on people who, quite frankly, are just full of it.

Most of them are rude, send endless, pointless enquiries and want everything for nothing.

I go to great lengths to maintain my good Selling Name and do far more than is really required in a normal business transaction, but it's a thankless and time-consuming task that doesn't repay, in any form.

Now I'm battling a Buyer who is giving my name a bad rap because he thinks he knows more about postage costs than I do. I send out multiple parcels every week. I have to fight for my good name for a couple of Rand.

When you try and resolve situations with some of these people, politely, they simply choose to ignore you and move off, leaving an unfairly bad reputation behind.

Some of the people that you make huge allowances for can't even be bothered to spend 30 seconds to give you a deservedly good Rating.

It's time that I find a vocation in a solitary space, devoid of social contact...

Free Soul Styles

You have 100 fantastic buyers and then 1 buyer comes along and ruins your entire week. Like you said, it is very time consuming and SOME buyers will go out of their way to try an assist, even then, it's never enough.

I sometimes get so annoyed with a buyer's lack of DECENT communication. They ignore you and then (like in my case), they have the nerve to send rude and threatening emails months later. How are we supposed to deal with people like that?!

Or you get a negative rating 5 months later, when you try to find out why they gave that rating they simply ignore you. You can't win.

But, there are those few buyers who really make the time spent worth it. They are friendly, quick to pay, and have no hassles. The best way to deal with the petty ones is to assist to the best of your ability, be friendly.... If that doesn't work, email the BoB team. They've helped me with a few nasty buyers. They're pretty good at it too.

Good Luck!:awesome:

Reliquiae

Thanks for the comments, FSS.

I've noticed a definite increase in the number of 'unpleasant' Buyers over the past few months. Why that might be is anyone's guess.

In this instance, I have already contacted BoB to see if the Rating comments in question can be removed and a block instituted.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it all comes down to the last few comments that prospective Buyers look at.

Free Soul Styles

That's true. They never seem to see the X amount of good comments.

I too have noticed an "irritation" with new buyers (purchases under 50) specifically. They demand rather than ask. One gentleman demanded i deliver for free to PTA, even though i clearly state it's not actually free.

As for the shipping with new buyers they tend to think it costs nothing to send a book, coin etc... They forget that we don't get the tape, boxes, envelopes and bubble wrap for free. Some people do overcharge for shipping but, personally, R40.00 for SAPO shipping is not the worst i've seen. One person charges over R150.00 for the exact same shipping you do... It's also not your fault that people don't read the shipping table properly before making a purchase. I'm sure BoB will assist.

Reliquiae

Regarding packaging costs, I concur. When we send out a package, it is generally considered to be nuke-proof. I have never had a complaint about damaged goods, whether I've sent items locally or abroad. I wouldn't be happy just throwing something into a box and shipping it.

People who charge clearly exorbitant fees are practicing dodgy marketing, IMO. "Here's Item X, for R1. Your shipping will be...Y, so that I have the last laugh."

Colin_P
That's true. They never seem to see the X amount of good comments.

I know that when I'm deciding whether to buy from a seller, I don't even glance at the positive comments, I filter them so that I can only see the negative comments, and while I don't mind buying from someone who has a few negatives, I avoid those who make rude and sarcastic comments in reply to their negative feedback. Sometimes I'll take a quick look at the neutral comments too, looking for the attitude that the seller has when replying.

A good seller can still have a few transactions where something went wrong. A bad seller tries to blame those (aggressively) on the buyer.

NooNooBug
I know that when I'm deciding whether to buy from a seller, I don't even glance at the positive comments, I filter them so that I can only see the negative comments, and while I don't mind buying from someone who has a few negatives, I avoid those who make rude and sarcastic comments in reply to their negative feedback. Sometimes I'll take a quick look at the neutral comments too, looking for the attitude that the seller has when replying.

A good seller can still have a few transactions where something went wrong. A bad seller tries to blame those (aggressively) on the buyer.

I agree with you ! I am not phased by a non 100% rating ! As we are dealing with people there is always the chance someone sees things differently ! I also look at the negatives & neutrals to see response or often very telling the way a buyer comments...sometimes it is very clear that they just didn't read ! Sometimes it is clear that the Seller has a habit or history of no comms, slow delivery, bad packing or bad quality, then I can choose to l stay away or take my chances!

Reliquiae

Thanks for the input. :) Much appreciated.

I agree that aggressive responses from Sellers say a lot, in the negative.

BoB closed my Support Ticket yesterday. I have relogged it as I don't think that their response was fair.

Despite the Buyer's comment, he has left it as a Positive Rating, thankfully.

Have a good one.

Free Soul Styles

I have seen that a few times were the seller just uses a lot of interesting and colorful words to blame the buyer. It's terrible. One the other side of the coin, i have seen buyers who you cannot please. An example, if there is a delay at the post office and the buyer leaves a rude negative rating... How can a seller take responsibility for something like that? Everyone knows that the post office is slower than a herd of turtles trudging through peanut butter!!

I will never buy from someone with negatives for a specific issue, like shipping delays (because of no stock, or they simply forgot to send the order), or no comms. I learnt the hard way....