Sign in to follow this  
staccato

SAPO & Customs

staccato    10
staccato

I received a gift from a friend in Finland, namely a slab of chocolates, when I collected the item at the post office I had to pay R43 customs duty! I dont think the item costs even half of that. What next? LOL

Digital Wolf    10
Digital Wolf
I received a gift from a friend in Finland, namely a slab of chocolates, when I collected the item at the post office I had to pay R43 customs duty! I dont think the item costs even half of that. What next? LOL

If you already collected and paid there is nothing you can do about it - too late.

Are you sure it isn't R0 customs duties and VAT and you're just paying the SAPO clearance fee? I think it went up from last year. Everything *has* to be cleared through customs, they have to file paperwork etc. so the clearance fee is fair.

I don't think it was worth requesting a reassessment because it would've taken 2-3 weeks to be reassessed - and you may have run into a problem with importing foodstuffs or something.

moodTime    10
moodTime

There is a standard customs clearance fee, even if the parcel has a NIL value they can still charge this fee.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

At least you got your chocolate. When a friend sent some from Belgium, the parcel arrived empty... They didn't try charge me custom duties, which is something :toung:

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

The fee on my last overseas parcel was R18, and the rest was VAT (this was in January). The manifest should show the breakdown of whatever fees they're charging you.