Sign in to follow this  
KobieVenter

Vanishing buyers?

KobieVenter

This question may have surfaced before, but I could not find it right away. Please bear with me.

Since I started on BoB in 2005, there has been a constant eb and flow of buyers and sellers, but the vanishing buyers are really puzzling me.

Since 2005 I have had more than 500 different buyers of my offerings. The constant stream of new buyers seem endless?

Most of these buyers are not resellers and have less than 100 ratings.

My questions are:

1. Why does all the first time buyers disappear after a month, where are they?

2. Exactly how long will this constant stream of new buyers last?

3. Why is the average "middle class black voter" totally absent when it comes to coin collection?

thanks,

Kobie

408agu

hi Kobie,

the fact that lots of sellers do not communicate at all with sellers, incorrect phone numbers, no answering of email, overnight deliveries that don't happen, a first timer picks on one of these sellers and after a bad experience, it is goodbye.

price is also a factor, some sellers sell their loose coins at top dollar, once you grade them there is nothing to be made. i understand the bond between top sellers, but easy buddies, there are a lot of wannabe coin collectors, but cannot, because of the asking prices. whoever pays catalogue prices ? or near it. Sellers should thank bid or buy for expanding their horizons, i dont know the stats. but believe me, since the happening of bob, numismatics have flourished. most sellers are easy to deal with, but there are rogues out there that deny a first time buyer, a wanting to come back. by the way, i am a buyer, colected coins for over 50 years, and yes some great staff has come out of bob, but a lot of sellers have sold to me once and never again, liers, unreliable and the most frustrating for a collector CLEANED/POLISHED COINS.

408agu

sorry Kobie, as for the last question, i go to The Mint pretty often, the majority of buyers according to my opinion are that mid to upper class you are referring to. i have seen some super money change hands there, agreed, mostly for investment. some graders went as far as letting these new black people believe that, Mandela R5 coins were the investment, so they graded them MS66,65,67 with intentions of making money on it, guess what, they are not worth R6, considering the grade price, wow what a loss. you don't start a trend beginning like that. i am often approached by these guys asking me to buy them.

regards

jorge