Sign in to follow this  
alloway65

ESKOM......Power shedding officially started at 9AM this morning.

alloway65

ESKOM......Power shedding officially started at 9AM this morning.:huh:

Cali Craft and Gems

And when we looked at the "schedule" for our area, it mentioned:

06h00 to 22h30 Monday to Sunday

IF this is what they plan, then how do they expect one to run a business? We need our credit card machine (mostly for tourists) and can't open the till without power.

BUT, instead of inconveniencing those who DO pay for power, why do they not cut the electricity to those areas that never pay? Makes one wonder...

NooNooBug

Eskom are very unpopular in the rural areas as we have power cuts ever so often and pay ridiculous "availability' charges but don't get a refund if we are off for a day or 2 ! They forget that in order to pay their crazy fees we need to work ! Also being rural we need our pumps or there is no water ! Seriously wish we had the money to go off the grid completely but that unfortunately is not on the priority list !

alloway65

IF this is what they plan, then how do they expect one to run a business? We need our credit card machine (mostly for tourists) and can't open the till without power.

BUT, instead of inconveniencing those who DO pay for power, why do they not cut the electricity to those areas that never pay? Makes one wonder...

This I think is the general Eskom screen, when I looked at our area....I got the message..."no power shedding at present".

We have had 2 - 24 hour power cuts since Saturday...problems at our local sub station. My generator would not start so off to buy a new one...I will send the bill to Eskom.

meeks

We have just had power restored since about 9 this morning..Now I believe we will also be off from 6 this evening till 10 tonight...every day until the 2nd April!!!, Surely they have to rotate the areas for different times? .. how to cook meals? (can maybe try cooking in advance and freezing) but no power for microwave to defrost and heat up... If the people who had to contend with coal stoves in bygone eras only knew how fortunate they were.

I also have my brother from USA here, and he is gobsmacked at this way of life.

Cali Craft and Gems

A few weeks ago our area was without power off and on for several days - and it was typically on the hottest days too! First Wed was from around 10am to 5pm (perfect for a work day), next day was about 5 hours, following Monday another 5 hours, Wed about 12 hours, and the random hour or two in between. Excuses included: main line from George to Oudtshoorn - "don't know what happened", substation in the western half of town, substation in town, substation in township, etc.

This causes absolute havoc with the businesses (you would not believe how tourists complain), in extreme heat there is no way you can keep the contents of your fridge / freezer icy cold (you don't even look at the fridge, yet alone open a door), etc.

But the tourists are starting to accept "African time" and things... some laugh it off, some just get surly!

NooNooBug

Cooking is no issue for me as we use either Gas or our woodstove in winter but water becomes a problem coz without power our pumps dont work so limited water which means no shower no flushing toilets(have buckets to use when vital , but if it becomes extended periods it isn't funny !

Cali Craft and Gems

I've just checked the Eskom schedule again - and there is going to be major trouble looming if they knock out power to our region at the end of the month!

The KKNK is just three weeks away... can you imagine the problems if there is no power during the fest? No music concerts, no plays, no lighting for art, no power in the stores... it's going to be chaotic and awful!

Let's just hope that by then the coal has dried out...

(read a good comment on News24 - why is it that wet England does not have a problem with their coal, but only in DRY SA?)

alloway65

Just after I posted the thread we lost power, it came back on a few minutes ago.:smile:

Cali Craft and Gems

I'm going to tempt fate...

Typical Eskom - they fail to deliver once again! Notices have been posted throughout town that our power IS going to be off from 14h00 to 16h30 and 22h00 to 00h30 today and tomorrow... and the power is still on! (suppose I should be thankful, but I rushed like a mad thing to get my online work done and to print price tags for the new stock so that we'd have something to do "in the dark"!)

Oh well... now it's a case of 'when' the power will go off to decide what is to be done about supper! (either way we're still considering a braai as the weather is gorgeous in our part of the world at the moment!)

admin

You can select your Province and Municipality here: Loadshedding

NooNooBug

We got an SMS this morning at 12.44 to tell us our power would be out from 12 to 2.30pm today !! (For the record that didn't happen !) But it did go off in George for just over 2 hrs which was fun as we needed a puncture repaired so had to wait the time out as they could plug the hole but not pump the tyre ! Hubby was inundated with calls to help, service or repair generators...people tend to leave them standing and never check them until they need them ! Oh well he will have to travel out of town tomorrow and then again next week to fit everyone in !

Wow if there is no power at KKNK it will be a shambles ! Would mean a huge loss to so many that count on it !

meeks

That's just the problem Cali,they don't plan. It seems like it was a sudden decision, to start the load shedding,and it brings back to mind the little song by Leon Schuster when load shedding started some years ago..."En skielik is die ligggies af". ..It was "skielik"

As someone so rightly said here tonight. "One has to have a sense of humor to survive South Africa",however for some hospital patients who had to be transferred from high care in some hospitals to other better equipped hospitals, it must have been very traumatic.

Miss Jewels

We're "powerless" everyday, 02h00 - 04h00, 10h00 - 12h00 and 18h30 - 20h30. Only Sundays will be no load shedding.

I popped into Woolworths for supper tonight and they had run out of warm foods, ie. chicken, pies, etc. The line was so long, we stood for about 15 mins before we got to the tills. All the working ppl were busy shopping for instant food. Now to make plan B, C, D....... for supper every evening.

Mad about Jack
You can select your Province and Municipality here: Loadshedding

Thanks Andries, I have checked my suburb and.......From 06:00-22:30 Monday to Saturday.

Jongleur

Wonder no more ............

unnamed.jpg.b9c20ed5e1c22887480cb381edd54b5f.jpg