Sign in to follow this  
Dicebat

Success fees being charged on non-successful sales - Bogus buyers!

Dicebat

I truly feel that Bid or Buy should re-think their success fee system with regards to EFT payments and start giving their sellers "die binnevet van die boud" (bennefit of the doubt). Us sellers are after all a huge contribution to the site's traffic (and content) generation. I believe this will be a major improvement to the system. By only charging their sellers 'success fees' once the buyer actually pays would surely alleviate a lot of monetary frustration, especially for startups that don't yet have big amounts of revolving Bid or Buy funds to play around with.

Here's a lighter unlikely yet possible scenario. A young entrepreneurial Jim has developed the next big thing and now decides to try Bid Or Buy for the first time. Jim's items are selling like hot cakes because it's a must have right now and Bid Or Buy is SA's best online buying and selling platform. Plot twist. Jim's target market are students! And they've got giant holes in their pockets. They're checking out, hoping their parents would lend them some money. Poor Jim is now sitting with 30 something orders that are not complete and he's been charged success fees on all of them. Finally a buyer that pays! Jim can now serve his first customer! Oh wait, Jim has costs in delivering the product, he can't even retrieve any funds because Bid or buy has taken ALL of the profit for that one successful sale in success fees. Jim also now has to wait 14 days before he can claim the unsuccessful success fees back. :oh: By that time Jim has lost his first buyer.

For what it's worth, I'm writing from experience as a startup seller with Bidorbuy. There are "buyers" out there who have negative ratings and they seem to deliberately check out items with no intention whatsoever to pay. With the current success fee system in place, I'm also surprised that BidorBuy continues in allowing bogus buyers to rack up fees for the seller. It's unprofitable to the inexperienced seller and also counterproductive as a whole to charge a success fee for an unsuccessful sale.

Digital Wolf
Jim also now has to wait 14 days before he can claim the unsuccessful success fees back. :oh: By that time Jim has lost his first buyer.

Jim, 1) should have ALL stock on hand as a new seller so he should have no purchasing costs in order to deliver, and 2) should have enough capital to afford deliveries and other costs without requesting a payout.

Not having sufficient capital is a big problem, what happens if Buyer A decides he wants a refund (Jim has to offer a money-back guarantee as per the CPA)? Jim has to wait 14 days before he can fully refund the buyer because of the success fees, the transport costs he was charged etc. - but wait, in order to file the SNC for "Buyer Refunded" Jim ACTUALLY needs to refund the buyer.

Bidorbuy don't allow bogus buyers to continue purchasing, once there have been enough SNCs against the buyer they are blacklisted. They are not banned on their first SNC, they are not banned if SNCs are not filed etc.

Dicebat
Jim, 1) should have ALL stock on hand as a new seller so he should have no purchasing costs in order to deliver, and 2) should have enough capital to afford deliveries and other costs without requesting a payout.

Not having sufficient capital is a big problem, what happens if Buyer A decides he wants a refund (Jim has to offer a money-back guarantee as per the CPA)? Jim has to wait 14 days before he can fully refund the buyer because of the success fees, the transport costs he was charged etc. - but wait, in order to file the SNC for "Buyer Refunded" Jim ACTUALLY needs to refund the buyer.

Bidorbuy don't allow bogus buyers to continue purchasing, once there have been enough SNCs against the buyer they are blacklisted. They are not banned on their first SNC, they are not banned if SNCs are not filed etc.

Some solid advice for Jim, thank you! I think I read in a related thread that there's also a time limit in which you can file for SNCs. I still feel that BidorBuy's success fee system can be improved though. Whether on the seller or buyer's side - something can still be done.

I mean, even as a buyer, I've felt that the checkout process doesn't provide sufficient warning prior to when the order is about to be marked as 'placed' - 'now you have to pay!'. I'm still looking for payment info.... aaah damn the order is placed! They don't accept PayPal! - This still causes confusion. The buyer now has to remind himself to check for that SNC 7 days later.

Bid or Buy's model to connect the seller with the buyer has an annoying little kink in it for me. This is feedback from a brand new bob user - Perhaps a call for a more modernised improvement. Critique. They can either choose to ignore it, or note it down for consideration. I've been in user experience design for 9 years. It's an ongoing process that gets its help by listening to its users and covering all user scenarios.

Don't get me wrong, Bid or Buy's rules are very clear. That's good. They have a knowledge base. But interaction still comes first. It's the first thing a user is going to do. Interact. Look for their product. Shop around. Accidentally place orders.

Digital Wolf
Some solid advice for Jim, thank you! I think I read in a related thread that there's also a time limit in which you can file for SNCs. I still feel that BidorBuy's success fee system can be improved though. Whether on the seller or buyer's side - something can still be done.

I mean, even as a buyer, I've felt that the checkout process doesn't provide sufficient warning prior to when the order is about to be marked as 'placed' - 'now you have to pay!'. I'm still looking for payment info.... aaah damn the order is placed! They don't accept PayPal! - This still causes confusion. The buyer now has to remind himself to check for that SNC 7 days later.

Bid or Buy's model to connect the seller with the buyer has an annoying little kink in it for me. This is feedback from a brand new bob user - Perhaps a call for a more modernised improvement. Critique. They can either choose to ignore it, or note it down for consideration. I've been in user experience design for 9 years. It's an ongoing process that gets its help by listening to its users and covering all user scenarios.

Don't get me wrong, Bid or Buy's rules are very clear. That's good. They have a knowledge base. But interaction still comes first. It's the first thing a user is going to do. Interact. Look for their product. Shop around. Accidentally place orders.

I can agree with your points on the checkout process, I know Bidorbuy constantly mentions that buyers should check out the postage and payment options before they buy, but fact is, some don't.

I don't feel an order should be placed if a buyer does not select a payment option, if his credit card payment fails the order should not be placed until he selects another option. I actually feel some buyers reach the payment stage and then realise a seller doesn't take credit card or Paypal or some other option or there credit card is rejected because they don't have enough funds etc. but it's too late because the order is placed.

Whenever I see an order appear on my Control Panel without a payment option I always assume it's going to be an SNC, and 99% of the time I am correct.

Russalpcs

Hi all

Just my 2 cents - long before placing an order the buyer just has to click on the TAB marked Shipping and Payment to see all payment options?

Although I have found there are a lot of buyers out there that do not even scroll down to see the full description, so probably do not even see the extra TAB - there is no pill for this!

Russel