Sign in to follow this  
Cash in the Attic

1892 Half Crown

Cash in the Attic

Good Day All. I would like to call on the experts to kindly give me they're opinion on this coin. Is it worth sending for grading and what grade they think will be given once graded. Thank you very much

Pierre_Henri

There is a few digs in front of the Presidents face but it still has a 70% chance of grading and I will say either AU50 at which it should sell for around R3000+ on BoB or AU53 then R4000+.

But the problem lies with the 30% chance that it will get a details grading because of the marks in the obverse fields.

But a beautiful coin none the less.

If sold raw (ungraded) with the buyer taking the same chance as you, it could sell for between R900 and R2000 so not an easy decision awaiting you.

Pierre

zarmaniac

Reverse MS61 details, obverse AU55 details, but the lines under Krugers shoulder and the digs in the field above the nose and eyes might be problematic. AU details surface hairlines... If you are very very lucky AU55/58, but my guess is details grade, less than 50/50 chance it will grade.

CapeCurrencyCoin

Hi

This coin is most likely an AU55,best case scenario AU58(possibly details).The contact marks/dings alone should not prevent this coin from grading,it is quite typical of ZAR coins in this grade to have contact marks.The biggest issue could be potential hairlines.The photos seem to suggest that there are hairlines however it all depends on how it was photographed,often the lighting can exaggerate or highlight surface hairlines and make it appear as if there is a problem.I do not know how you have used the lighting when photographing this coin,but based on the fact that certain parts of the coin are brighter and more illuminated(in the legend "Shillings" top,left of reverse) I suspect that you shifted/manipulated the light so as to promote the detail of the coin but inadvertently at the same time highlighted the contact marks and hairlines,if this is the case then my feeling is that hairlines may not be a problem on this coin.However,in saying this I do not believe it is possible to give an accurate assessment of the grade(in terms of whether it is a details or problem coin) from a photo alone without at least some additional information,and even then it may not be enough,there is no substitute for coin in hand.

For example,does the coin have any lustre, and if so how much,its important because it supplies information relating to the original state of the surfaces and fields.An untoned coin with this much detail should have a fair amount of lustre visible,if there is none its probable that this is a problem coin-possibly cleaned at some stage?

To answer your question on whether its worth grading it would depend on whether you intend to sell the coin or keep it.I will assume that you would like to grade the coin so as to potentially add value and therefore have the option,should you choose to,of selling it at a higher price(vs raw/ungraded).I believe that if this coin graded AU55(with NGC or PCGS),it would probably be "worth" 4500-5000 Rands.Selling it raw would fetch a much lower price since most buyers would have to assume that its a details coin since it would make no sense to assume otherwise and still purchase it at a competitive price,my guess is that it would fetch around R1500 raw.Using this example and these numbers as a general assessment, the difference in "value" between raw price and its maximum graded (AU55) price may be R3000-3500,the grading fee is about R300 all in,so the potential return on your grading fee of R300 in terms of odds on your money(not absolute odds) is probably around 10-1 (and maybe even better),of course this needs to be offset against the percentage or probability of the coin actually grading successfully,but I would think that even if you had a 50-50 chance of grading success and you were offered a 10-1 return,then that would be a good bet! But it all depends on whether you like the odds!

Apologies if thats a rather clinical way of looking at it,but I think it applies if your intention is to add value.

In my opinion you should grade it but either which way its a beautiful coin!

regards

Antonio

Edited by CapeCurrencyCoin

Cash in the Attic

Hi Guys....Thank you so much for your replies. I would like to send the coins fro grading as i currently have a XF 45 in my collection. There is allot of luster on the reverse and obverse. I tried to capture the luster on the images. Please have a look at the following images taken in sunlight. Thank you once again to Pierre, Zar Maniac and Cape Currency your comments are appreciated.

36.jpg.0cb27825acd11472c69f1f383e853b8e.jpg

37.jpg.5ba81c1b8bfe7df2211e44da899cfc87.jpg

CapeCurrencyCoin

Hi

Yes,the lustre is very evident in these photos.I think you will be very unlucky if this coin does not grade AU55. Sometimes NGC sees "hairlines" that are not acceptable and sometimes they see no real issue...that would be the only thing that would stop this coin from grading,in my opinion.

Ambassadors Invest

Hi There - My opinion would be AU Details Surface Hairlines.