Sign in to follow this  
booksallsizes

Saved searches - needs refinement?

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

I have a small problem with the saved search. I look for certain second hand/ vintage book titles and am not interested in new titles. Is there any way that I can ask for only second hand objects in my search, instead of sifting through loads of new titles from certain large bookstores when I'm alerted to the search items becoming available?

It's also weird that I put a title on search that there is absolutely no listing for (not even new) and in a couple of weeks there are hundreds of listings of this sort available from these new book stores. Do they get hold of bidorbuy's saved searches somehow?

Anyway, it would be great if there was some sort of filter. I'm starting to decrease my saved searches because of all the emails they create whilst not giving me what I am looking for.

Many thanks and I do appreciate all you guys do to make bidorbuy a nice site (for buying and selling)

qball    11
qball
I have a small problem with the saved search. I look for certain second hand/ vintage book titles and am not interested in new titles. Is there any way that I can ask for only second hand objects in my search, instead of sifting through loads of new titles from certain large bookstores when I'm alerted to the search items becoming available?

It's also weird that I put a title on search that there is absolutely no listing for (not even new) and in a couple of weeks there are hundreds of listings of this sort available from these new book stores. Do they get hold of bidorbuy's saved searches somehow?

Anyway, it would be great if there was some sort of filter. I'm starting to decrease my saved searches because of all the emails they create whilst not giving me what I am looking for.

Many thanks and I do appreciate all you guys do to make bidorbuy a nice site (for buying and selling)

When you create the saved search, you are taken to the Advanced Search page, there is an option to select item condition. Remember, your saved search will look at both title and description unless you narrow it down - use more specific search terms and use maybe only the title, not description as well.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

Seeing that qball has replied to this thread but no-one has replied to my thread on saved searches, I'll hijack this thread a little - although it is actually on topic. I have the same problem searching for second hand tools, and resolve the issue by blocking the sellers who sell new tools. The problem is that the search only saves one blocked seller, meaning that you have to block the rest manually each time. I'd really appreciate it if someone would look into this...

qball    11
qball
Seeing that qball has replied to this thread but no-one has replied to my thread on saved searches, I'll hijack this thread a little - although it is actually on topic. I have the same problem searching for second hand tools, and resolve the issue by blocking the sellers who sell new tools. The problem is that the search only saves one blocked seller, meaning that you have to block the rest manually each time. I'd really appreciate it if someone would look into this...

Are you referring to the filter located on the left when filtering by seller?

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

That's the one, yes.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Sorry, Cuan - I tried to do that. But when I save the search, it just says that my search has been saved and takes me to the page full of my saved searches.

The only time there are options is when I go to advanced search but this is a different thing altogether. I'm talking about the searches that you save and when they are listed, you get email notification.

qball    11
qball
Sorry, Cuan - I tried to do that. But when I save the search, it just says that my search has been saved and takes me to the page full of my saved searches.

The only time there are options is when I go to advanced search but this is a different thing altogether. I'm talking about the searches that you save and when they are listed, you get email notification.

You will need to remove all the current ones and when you are asked to create the Saved Search, use the filters on the Advanced Search, it will then present you with the results which you can then save. At the moment, most of your saved searches only look at title and description. Maybe also consider reducing the frequency of the notifications -most are set to twice weekly.

Also try be more specific with your search terms, for example:

Search Now with Nietzsche in the Title & Description - this will search everything that contains Nietzsche. This will present you with 192 items, not all will be what you are looking for.

If possible, also use the option to search any of these words, as opposed to all of these words.

qball    11
qball
Are you referring to the filter located on the left when filtering by seller?

I have tested the filter (on the left hand nav) and it works - excluded 4 sellers and their items were removed from my results. I suspect it might me on the Saved Searches option, which I will test now.

qball    11
qball
I have tested the filter (on the left hand nav) and it works - excluded 4 sellers and their items were removed from my results. I suspect it might me on the Saved Searches option, which I will test now.

It seems this may be a bug, will ask tech to investigate it. It essentially is not remembering your excluded sellers, so presents you with all results again including the sellers you tried to exclude.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

That's what it does for me too - works 100%, but doesn't save the exclusions. Thanks for looking into it, and sorry I hijacked your thread books.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Excellent, Cuan! Thanks for all your trouble. I shall slowly sort my search list out.

qball    11
qball
It seems this may be a bug, will ask tech to investigate it. It essentially is not remembering your excluded sellers, so presents you with all results again including the sellers you tried to exclude.

This will be major fix, so it has been put on the task list of bugs to fix.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it's at least on the list :-)