Sign in to follow this  
meeks

What is correct here and what is not?

meeks

What is the take on the following; Buyer wins auction (over a year ago) now decides to sell the items , and uses the images and advertising text of the original seller,except, the original seller had a background and frames around the images, and the re- seller has just removed the background and frames from the images (photos were taken by original seller personally). Is this allowed? I would have thought asking permission would have been the correct thing to do?

It is not a "train smash" it is just my hard work, my time, my equipment used in preparing my listings. so why can the other seller/s not take their own photos of the items, instead of piggy backing off others?- just seems brazen...or am I being "petty" here?

alloway65

I feel if it is a one-off item and the buyer wants to use your images and he asks, why not.

I have purchased items with a lot of explanatory text and have asked the seller if I can use the basic text which I would modify to my own style..... permission was always granted.

On the other hand when I was buying Gemstones and asked the same question about using the sellers pictures...permission was always refused.....so I took my own pictures.

jogesel

This issue was recently discussed on the forum. Suggest you do a search and read those posts.

meeks

I feel if it is a one-off item and the buyer wants to use your images and he asks, why not.

I have purchased items with a lot of explanatory text and have asked the seller if I can use the basic text which I would modify to my own style..... permission was always granted.

On the other hand when I was buying Gemstones and asked the same question about using the sellers pictures...permission was always refused.....so I took my own pictures.

Exactly!!! If people would just ASK before using the images and description texts when reselling or selling the same items as other sellers,then it can be decided either yes or no,but to blatantly just assume it is a free for all, in my view, is just not on!! I sell crafts, and being what it is, there are always the same of previous items on offer, so in some instances, I will be using a previously used image and description text numerous times again. That being said, as I mentioned in my original post, it is not a train smash, but property belonging to other people can not just be used without permission...It is the decent, and right thing to do... to ask for that permission, and what peeved me off, is the fact that, like many sellers, I work hard on creating my own images and making my descriptions as clear as possible, and someone else just comes along, and takes it, and uses it for their own financial gain?

Cali Craft and Gems

Although "petty" to some people, I find it to be an unpleasant subject to tackle - especially when you have taken the images yourself (ie not stock images even from your supplier).

I have a message in my listings stating that the layout, wording and images are all copyrighted. Many have ignored this, but I have approached those directly who have overstepped the line - basically copying my listing without asking! (there are those who have at least had the courtesy to ask and I have never declined)

At the end of the day I find it exceptionally rude (and lazy, etc) of the other person using your images without at least asking first...

meeks
Although "petty" to some people, I find it to be an unpleasant subject to tackle - especially when you have taken the images yourself (ie not stock images even from your supplier).

I have a message in my listings stating that the layout, wording and images are all copyrighted. Many have ignored this, but I have approached those directly who have overstepped the line - basically copying my listing without asking! (there are those who have at least had the courtesy to ask and I have never declined)

At the end of the day I find it exceptionally rude (and lazy, etc) of the other person using your images without at least asking first...

My sentiments exactly!! I used to put a message in my listings regarding the text descriptions (referring to ones which were my own) and my images, and the whole "protected by copyright" refrain, but then I stopped doing that..Needless to say, I will be resuming that little task, and will watch like a hawk.

I also agree that all it takes is to ask for permission, I do not have fangs, and don't bite,and where I can, permission may be granted.....I have had a "thing or two" before with some sellers, who just decided they can use the images freely and did so,and I demanded they remove them, purely because the response to me was one of hostility when I queried it.

Little Miss Muffet

If it was my image used over a year ago that the buyer(From me) uses now it would not bother me even if I was not asked.Afterall, I have made my money on the listing so "No great train smash"

However, if a user was using my images from current listings I would not be too happy.We do work hard to photograph and edit images so JA want a kickback.Thanks

originl

Watermark?

How about adding a watermark over the pic? Your own one, that is. Not sure if images with watermarks are allowed on bidorbuy though.

Free Soul Styles

You should watermark every image you use. I also do not like people using my images. If you ask, i'll happily let you. But if a person has a lot of bad ratings, then no. Don't even ask. I wouldn't want my name associated with a bad seller.