Sign in to follow this  
Xarchitex

Alternative Shipping methods?

Xarchitex

Hi all,

Just want to check if any of you can give some inspiration around shipping. The current (and yet again) Post Office strike is delaying my parcels, and the buyers gets upset with me....

Are there any alternatives than the Post Office?

My packages totals average between R100 and R400 and it doesn't make sense to charge R200+ for shipping via some door-to-door company (or does it?)

My current methods are:

Ordinary Insured Parcel - R30 + 3% insurance

Speed Services Insured Parcel - R80 + 3% insurance

Any thoughts?

Free Soul Styles

Hi!

I found The Courier Guy to be rather useful. They're reliable and lightning fast. I've had no issues at all since using them. They're not too expensive and deliver to more areas than Fastway. You can do the order online with them and they collect within an hour or so.

I lowered the price to R80.00 + 3% insurance while the strike is on. It's usually R100.00/R120.00

At least with a courier it's faster and a bit safer than Speed Services or Sapo.

Cali Craft and Gems

Noticed that Aramex is at R99 per parcel courier to door delivery - only thing is that you must "buy" the bag at your nearest Pick 'n Pay, and drop it off in the bin provided at the store.

Postnet also offers a courier service from Postnet branch to branch only - also around R100 I think?

NooNooBug

Do you know dimensions & weight that can go in the Aramex bag ? My sceptical mistrusting self says but then I have no proof it actually got to Aramex so would be a little hesitant !

Cali Craft and Gems

I too was reluctant but I recently had a buyer who swears by their reliability and has persuaded me otherwise.

I'm yet to offer it on my listings, but will seriously consider it in the near future due to the endless disruptions by the SAPO.

NooNooBug

I am also considering making a courier option available as I am happy with the SAPO service I get at my local Po but unfortunately I can't keep putting everything on hold every time there is a strike ! Sales where really coming along steadily then BAM huge pause button pressed ! So many of us here need those steady sales and this really impacts us !

Digital Wolf

There are cheaper couriers than MDS Collivery, BUT if you want to send high-value items insurance up to R5,000 is fixed at R14.00. That's equivalent to what most couriers would charge for ~R360 worth of insurance. Deliveries are also arranged online and waybills printed, no filling in waybills by hand or telephoning couriers required. MDS will also call a celephone or telephone number when they deliver and no one is there (or the bell doesn't work etc. It's about ~R70 local and ~R100 major centres ex. insurance, remote areas vary widely.

Internet Express is similar, also arranged online with printed waybills. Their insurance would be the standard 3% rate. Same cost as MDS.

I haven't had a problem with Aramex, it's R99, I have had a problem with Pick 'n Pay though, not having the bags or poor placement of the dropbox.

@NooNooBug, I'm almost sure it's an A2-size bag as I did manage to fit an old 14" laptop wrapped in a few layers of bubblewrap. I don't think there is a weight limit, only has to fit in the bag.

Postnet also offers a R99 Postnet-to-Postnet 1-4 day economy option. They also SMS both you and the addressee when the parcel arrives.

Edited by Digital Wolf

NooNooBug

Thanx so much ! Have already started making enquiries as to see what else I can offer without it costing too much.

Xarchitex

Thank you for the great replies! Definitely going look at adding a few of these.

Russalpcs

Hi all

Aramex dimensions are the same a Speed services - 45 x 35 cm - I have used their R99 service quite a bit in the last 6 months and have not had any complaints yet.

Thx

Russel

cp27
Thank you for the great replies! Definitely going look at adding a few of these.

I use "The courier guy" the last parcel I wanted to send was 16kg, I was worried that with this weight some of the item could get damage so I split the parcel in two, each 45x30x20 and weighing 8kg each to the same address only took 2days from PE to DBn,

Total cost R102.00

Also online booking and you get a e-mail update every time the parcel moves.

Regards

Russalpcs

Hi all

Another note about Aramex/Berco bags - there is no weight limit, as long as it fits in the bag!

I have packed the bag full or heavy at times and the goods still got to their destination!

Russel