Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

How binding is the auction contract?

Vegar

I have been here for a while - since 2007 - and I have had a lot of auctions won by habitual non-payers. I guess that some of you have experienced this to a greater or lesser degree.

Was just thinking that if for every auction I was not paid for (see the negatives I have dished out) I had put a sum of money in a box - like R5 or something - I would have funds I could use to get a lawyer to enforce the BINDING CONTRACT buyers sign when joining BOB.

So if ALL sellers contributed to a "DEADBEAT BIDDER" fund, there would be a means to deal with the habitual non-payers.

We could create a "sellers club" with a yearly contribution for members.

Then we send out a message that non-payers may be prosecuted for breach of contract.

As it stands now that "contract" is meaningless.

Any thoughts?

Just Beachin

Take a deep breath, Practice forgiveness and pick your fights carefully

mrmouse
I have been here for a while - since 2007 - and I have had a lot of auctions won by habitual non-payers. I guess that some of you have experienced this to a greater or lesser degree.

There is no way to enforce it, a buyer is allowed to pull out of a sale , without giving a reason , at any time after the sale , nothing you can do about it at all .Its a risk of online selling, accept it its here to stay , thousand of people daily change their minds about a purchase at the till , even after its been rung up.lots just bid for the hell of it , or just to push the price up for the fun of it .Thats life .

Vegar

Mrmouse; There is a difference between Buy-it-now and auctions. A buyer can change their mind and cancel a buy-it-now.

Auctions are different by their very nature, namely being AUCTIONS. There are rules - BIDS ARE BINDING.

I attend auctions and not only would there be dire consequences if I did not honor my bids, it is a matter of integrity. The method of selling at auction has a long history and is unique in it's character of trading.

WHY is Bidorbuy an AUCTION site if people can just ignore the contract?

Colin_P
WHY is Bidorbuy an AUCTION site if people can just ignore the contract?

Because the law says they can?

Vegar

Hmmm ... where does the law say that people can ignore a contract without consequences? I can sue the person for breach of contract.

jogesel

Maybe the Consumer Protection Act!

MiemsJewels

Habitual non-payers AKA Serial non-payers.

Colin_P
Hmmm ... where does the law say that people can ignore a contract without consequences? I can sue the person for breach of contract.

You've confirmed this with your attorney I assume? If so, then why argue with us (we didn't renege on a sale with you) just sue them.

bok2004

Hahaha Vegar,

go ahead and sue them it is going to cost you more in legal money as to get one cent out of them, i wanted to sue a person for the amount of R3800 which i payed him via trough BOB and till today nothing has happend, his account is now closed, blacklisted and that was it. It becomes a personal thing now as to where i have to sue him in his personel capasity and that takes years trust me!!! where do you find him??? LOST CASE dont even bother!! but you can try if you want to

My money that i lost is a small amount, i know of someone here on BOB that was done with more than 1Mil in gold coins and they are still looking for the guy!!

voldermort
You've confirmed this with your attorney I assume? If so, then why argue with us (we didn't renege on a sale with you) just sue them.

I dont think Vegar is arguing with anybody, I think she is merely peed off, as all sellers are, when a buyer doesnt pay or tries to back out of an auction. On the other hand though, if a buyer asks for their bid to be deleted, sadly we have no choice but to comply with their wishes.

Colin_P
I dont think Vegar is arguing with anybody, I think she is merely peed off, as all sellers are, when a buyer doesnt pay or tries to back out of an auction. On the other hand though, if a buyer asks for their bid to be deleted, sadly we have no choice but to comply with their wishes.

I'd rather have a buyer ask for their bid to be deleted when they realise they have made a mistake, than for them to win the auction, locking out any genuine buyers, and then just leave me hanging.

But you're right, Vegar was probably just venting. I know I can be a bit quick to chip in, but I do feel the need to defend the buyers on this forum, as most of the users here are sellers, and they sometimes have a merry old time bashing us poor defenseless buyers. :-)

At the end of the day, for any sale to work we need both a seller and buyer committed to the process.

voldermort
I'd rather have a buyer ask for their bid to be deleted when they realise they have made a mistake, than for them to win the auction, locking out any genuine buyers, and then just leave me hanging.

But you're right, Vegar was probably just venting. I know I can be a bit quick to chip in, but I do feel the need to defend the buyers on this forum, as most of the users here are sellers, and they sometimes have a merry old time bashing us poor defenseless buyers. :-)

At the end of the day, for any sale to work we need both a seller and buyer committed to the process.

All quite true :-)