Sign in to follow this  
Lilay

93ct Sapphire

Lilay

I have a 93ct Sapphire that I would like to have tested. Can anybody suggest a place where I can send it to, and how does it work?:confused:

GemDeals

Hi There,

If the gem is is translucent (SI2-IF) and not opaque you can send it to E.G.L. They charge R275 per carat to certify the gem so you will have to contact them first and get an price. However I would only recommend it if the gem is worth it as it will cost a small fortune to certify!

Here is their link:

http://www.egl.co.za/

They have offices in JHB, and CPT.

If it's opaque it's not really worth it imho.

You can contact Lukeness too he recently set up a gemological laboratory and he can do certificates :) I'm sure you can work something out with him. Did you buy the item on bidorbuy? do you have a link to the item?

The process is fairly simple with e.g.l, if you take it to them they will test it and notify you as soon as it's certified and give you the results. generally if it's fake they will charge you at a less expensive rate, with e.g.l you pay them before they send the item back to you or release it.

Chris.

Lilay

Hi Gemdeals

The sapphire is opaque,so what could it roughly be worth? I've got it for about 5 years and is thinking of selling it.

GemDeals

Hi Lilay,

Valuating a gemstone is not as simple as it sounds, if this stone is naturally blue and only treated with heat you are looking at about $3 per carat.

If the stone has been diffused or dyed it will be worth $1 per carat.

Just for interest sake, if the sapphire is Si2(Eye clean) and 93ct , only heated and a good color, saturation and hue it will be worth around $500 per carat. If it was Flawless it would be over $2000 per carat.

Chris.

Lukeness

Hi Lilay,

Do you have any pictures of the gem? That would give us an indication of the quality.

Obviously if you wanted a true value it would need to be tested for all of the following:

1. Is it actually sapphire, if not, what is it?

2. Is natural or man made?

3. What, if any, treatments/enhancements has it undergone.

4. What is its quality (hue, tone, saturation, clarity, cut, polish etc)?

5. Where was it mined (very important for value)?

There are many very large opaque Sapphires and Rubies available. Often they are treated (heated & dyed or diffused) or or low value but popular as pendants or for "bling".

Thanks for the recommendation, Chris.

Lilay

Thank you for the reply's

Here is a pic of the sapphire

sapphirepic.jpg

1. Is it actually sapphire, if not, what is it? Natural sapphire

2. Is natural or man made? Natural

3. What, if any, treatments/enhancements has it undergone. Color enhanced

4. What is its quality (hue, tone, saturation, clarity, cut, polish etc)? ??????

5. Where was it mined (very important for value)? India