Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

Dropshipers- a free for all?

jogesel    10
jogesel

Just curious about BOB policy on dropshippers. I know there is an official list. I have seen the list. However I find a lot of sellers with no local stock and who have to import items whose names do not appear on the official list. I have reported some that I found to BOB. Is the list no longer applicable? Can anyone now become a dropshipper?

admin    0
admin

Hi jogesel,

As I previously stated, the list on the forum does not contain all the authorised drop shippers. We add them as they are reported on the forum, reporting them to community watch on the main site does not get them added to the list if they were already approved when reported.

jogesel    10
jogesel

The whole issue of dropshippers is confusing because often you don't know if the person is authorised or not. Perhaps to make things easier you could have a separate section for dropshoppers just as you have for stores. Buyers would then be more aware of who they are dealing with.

Why can't you insert after or before the name or ratings the letters (AD) in brackets to indicate that this is an authorised dropshipper. That would also clarify matters.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

What exactly does a drop-shipper have to do before they are authorised? What makes an authorised drop-shipper safer than an unauthorised one?

jogesel    10
jogesel

Presumably the authorised ones have been checked by BOB which should, but not neccessarily, make them safer than unauthorised ones. As far as I am aware unauthorised dropshippers are not permitted on BOB. In terms of BOB policy you may only sell stock which you actually posses, hence dropshipping is not permitted, unless specifically authorised by BOB. If this were not the policy then all sellers could be dropshippers.

Only BOB knows what a dropshipper needs to do in order to be authorised. Maybe somebody from BOB can clarify.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Below is the correct terminology of dropshipments:[h=1]Drop shipping : From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/h]"Drop shipping is a supply chain management technique in which the retailer does not keep goods in stock, but instead transfers customer orders and shipment details to either the manufacturer or a wholesaler, who then ships the goods directly to the customer. As in retail businesses, the majority of retailers make their profit on the difference between the wholesale and retail price but some retailers earn an agreed percentage of the sales in commission, paid by the wholesaler to the retailer"

What we are finding on the platform is sellers stating they're dropshippers, but the items are being shipped to them and they in turn ship to the buyer. Wrong!:oh:. Then it's not drop shippment. It's pre-orders. In other words, the seller advertises the goods, first receives the money from the buyer, pays his supplier and gets the items shipped to him.

I think clarity on true and just shipment needs to be implemented by BoB and then adhered to. A definite line needs to be drawn between advertising goods in stock, dropshipment and pre-orders.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug
The whole issue of dropshippers is confusing because often you don't know if the person is authorised or not. Perhaps to make things easier you could have a separate section for dropshoppers just as you have for stores. Buyers would then be more aware of who they are dealing with.

Why can't you insert after or before the name or ratings the letters (AD) in brackets to indicate that this is an authorised dropshipper. That would also clarify matters.

I like your idea ! Maybe there could be some sort of Widget as we have for Verified Seller that denotes Approved Dropshippers.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I think Miss Jewels is spot-on. And the widget suggested by NooNooBug would make life so much easier for all of us who care about these things.

qball    11
qball

The issue here is not about approved drop shippers (and there aren't many, as per the list provided). The issue we feel is sellers who drop ship without disclosing this, advertising this or getting approval first. So having an "icon" will not help this situation. And we won't necessarily know this until a buyer complains or we are alerted to the issue by a user.

Approval is at our discretion, but generally speaking, the user should be Verified, have a min. of 98% positive rating score when they apply, must have a long and established track record and good feedback regarding service and delivery. We will also look at the items being sold. This list in not final or conclusive.

Drop shipping is not permitted unless authorised by us.

kebs    10
kebs

I "dropship" some of my items,I don't have place to keep everything in stock. I have them sent to me first so that the buyer doesn't end up with custom fees, which as we all know, are very unpredictable. I would rather pay these costs myself than have a buyer have to pay a second fee - & then possibly end up with a negative rating for it as well.. I have offered in the past to have it posted directly to the buyer, but they are also wary of custom fees & have preferred my way of doing it.

I do agree that it should be very clearly specified somewhere in the listing that the item is ordered upon purchase, or however you wish to phrase it. Having said that though, if the item has to be ordered, I have it in big flashing red letters at the top of the item description - & yet still, some people somehow don't see it..:wacko:

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

Customs fees are not allways unpredictable , if you are using a clearing agent and you have your import permit everything is known upfront FOB etc , loads of goods have no fee anyway , its when items are purchased from private sellers on Ebay that things are unpredictable , or from alibaba or thousands of other second rate sellers , if items are brought in legit from distributors worldwide there are no issues , I for one will never support a dropshipper most all his items are on ebay at the same if not cheaper prices and usually with free freight on small items and usually absolutely no backup or service options , which is against the CPA and virtually all recieving / transmitting electronics sold by dropshippers are not ICASA approved and therefor illegal for use in SA ,show me one dropshipper that sells imported cellphones or pad`s that are ICASA approved and i will print this page and eat it .specifically radio frequency items , car alarms , tablet pc`s , wifi ,home alarms i have never seen a car alarm on BoB that is VESA approved for use in SA , or a home alarm that is insurance approved ( im talking about imported dropshipped items only ,)but if all these items are removed BOB will be 3 pages big, if you like the idea of paying someone upfront to order something off another site for you , then thats youre right , good on you , if you like the idea of having to pay return postage to GuanDong province when it fails on the third day thats also fine , if you like the idea of no backup, warranty, service etc also fine , i would rather buy from the bloke that has all instock in his garage and can offer a service after the sale .

Edited by mrmouse

kebs    10
kebs

Think I'll go back to staying off the forum again.. My small 2 cents always seems to get slightly attacked..

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

you`re lucky, most people just ignore my posts completely .

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Think I'll go back to staying off the forum again.. My small 2 cents always seems to get slightly attacked..

you`re lucky, most people just ignore my posts completely .

LOL Don't take "life" to serious Kebs & Mrmouse. :laugh:

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

Especially as this is just a forum. Life is what happens out there when the screen is dark... :-)