Sign in to follow this  
Mpuma Stamps

South African Colour Catalogue 2013

Mpuma Stamps    10
Mpuma Stamps

Hi, can anyone let me know when this catalogue was published and when the 2014 catalogue will be available? Is the R499 price on BoB the correct price?

What's the view of the current catalogue? I've reread the old thread here today in which the SACC was criticized a lot. Who actually compiles this catalogue?

morganfarrell    10
morganfarrell

I'm surprised that you haven't had a response to your question(s). I can at least give you my opinion of my view of the catalog.

I have just purchased the 2014 catalog in the hopes that the criticism of the previous one had been noted and addressed. That didn't happen and after buying this catalog every year, almost since it began, I doubt that I'll buy another. In short I disagree with the pricing and even the information seems lacking. I have always relied on this publication to know what new cylinder numbers, etc... exist for new issues. I'm no longer of the opinion that there is an emphasis put on this information. As for pricing, I think pre 1961 stamps are priced too high and RSA stamps way too low. My biggest "beef' though is that single stamps of the Union period and SWA are not even priced where pairs are "desired". I would suggest, for instance that most early high value SWA pairs that are used are philatelic, and that most of the singles are genuinely used. The whole pricing system seems to have a tinge of snobbery attached and I wonder how this could possibly promote collecting South African stamps to person of average means.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn
I'm surprised that you haven't had a response to your question(s). I can at least give you my opinion of my view of the catalog.

I have just purchased the 2014 catalog in the hopes that the criticism of the previous one had been noted and addressed. That didn't happen and after buying this catalog every year, almost since it began, I doubt that I'll buy another. In short I disagree with the pricing and even the information seems lacking. I have always relied on this publication to know what new cylinder numbers, etc... exist for new issues. I'm no longer of the opinion that there is an emphasis put on this information. As for pricing, I think pre 1961 stamps are priced too high and RSA stamps way too low. My biggest "beef' though is that single stamps of the Union period and SWA are not even priced where pairs are "desired". I would suggest, for instance that most early high value SWA pairs that are used are philatelic, and that most of the singles are genuinely used. The whole pricing system seems to have a tinge of snobbery attached and I wonder how this could possibly promote collecting South African stamps to person of average means.

I agree, I would not buy another for the next five years.