Sign in to follow this  
opsahl1313

Advice and Help

opsahl1313    10
opsahl1313

Hi

Could i ask everyone's advice on a coin i found. its a 1983 5c SA coin wish the letter "s" missing on the Engraver initials/signature.

See photo's attached, one of normal coin and one of the missing "s"

I have gone through many of these coins and this is the first one that i have seen that has this letter missing completely.

You can Clearly see the 2 dots but the "s" is not there.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Opsahl

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Welcome to the forum Opsahl. I think if you posted your request under the numismatic section of the forum you might get a speedier answer.

Good luck.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri
Welcome to the forum Opsahl. I think if you posted your request under the numismatic section of the forum you might get a speedier answer.

Good luck.

This is the Numismatic section Lily ...

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea

Hi opsahl,

I think you have what is referred to as a struck through grease error. Grease, dirt & iron filings can clog up the smaller sections or devices of the die, letters and numbers. I have found another nice example:

us_struck_thru_grease_cent.jpg.74b1c098720b16350f8d92348270be95.jpg

Interestingly, this dirt and grease mixture, which can become very hard through repeated strikes, can fall out during minting, causing an indentation or incuse in the coin. This is referred to as a dropped letter error. The dropped letter error can happen on any side of the the coin regardless of which side it dropped out of.

The struck through grease error is quite common and can actually devalue an expensive coin. Dropped letter errors can be added post minting, so be careful when you buy these.

Derick