Sign in to follow this  
alloway65

Some people never learn........

kyle2    10
kyle2

Very Nice article, I hope everyone who wants a mandela coin reads it first. I spotted a GOLD CLAD Mandela coin on OLX for sale for R250000. Madness, considering they are available for R3.50 from China.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Where does the person who wrote this article get a mintage of 22,106,000.Were there 2008 coins without Mandela's face? As far as I know there were not more than 5,000,000 2008 Mandela coins minted:rolleyes:

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

With the "Mandela-Mania" still going strong, nothing is impossible though:angel:

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Never say Never again

The National Association of Numismatic Societies has been informed that every month about 24 000 Mandela R5 birthday coins are sent for grading in the US, Peter Wilson, the chairman of the association, says.

"The biggest problem in numismatics at the moment is the Mandela R5 coin. That's where the bulk of the rip-off is occurring. These guys (the sellers) are doing immeasurable damage to the noble hobby of numismatics."

One must try to offset the horrible financial consequences awaiting those who will shout in future “never-again-will I-buy -a-Mandela-R5 coin” against the potentially hundreds of new entries to true SA numismatics that got hooked on coin collecting due to the Mandela craze.

But one must be realistic – there must be many collectors who collect Mandeliana just for the fun (“lekker”) of it and in remembrance of the great man.

For those I am sure a wonderful future awaits due to the many bargains that will be left on the wayside in the next few years to come.

From 2.3 million to R50 000 and then to R50 in a year or so should be more than enough evidence that true numismatic territory should not be tread on lightly.

But a bright future awaits many new collectors...

I bought a 1932 Penny in a lot of junk last year without realizing its value and then had it graded with NGC and sold it on BidorBuy for R52 000.00

Never say never again

Pierre

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
Where does the person who wrote this article get a mintage of 22,106,000.Were there 2008 coins without Mandela's face? As far as I know there were not more than 5,000,000 2008 Mandela coins minted:rolleyes:

So what is the story here??

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri
So what is the story here??

Hern's catalogue (2010/2011) states that 22 106 000 were minted of the 2009 date (reference NJ32) but Hern probably gets a little bit "deurmekaar" when he gives the obverse as number 8 (normal R5 that is correct) BUT the reverse as number 7 (Mandela’s face)

The coin he is referring to is probably the 2008 date (reference Nj30). He actually does not give a mintage figure for the 2008 birthday coin.

I do not have Hern’s 2013 edition, so maybe someone else can help me here please?

Pierre

NS. I always thought that the "head side" of a coin is the obverse and not the reverse but that is another issue.