Sign in to follow this  
Rare NotesCoins

Posted some German WWII items. Are they fake or are they real

Rare NotesCoins    10
Rare NotesCoins

Hi. I have loaded some items for the 19th of January 2014. My main question is are they real or are they copies? I don't know enough about German WWII items to see if they are real or not. I would appreciate any help I can get as we do get them in allot. Any site that describe the real vs. the the copies will help indeed. Thank you in advance and have a stunning 2014.

Regards Rare NotesCoins

admin    0
admin

Hi Rare NotesCoins,

Please go through your listings and remove or edit listings that do not comply with the listing policy.

1.17. Listing of Nazi related items

The following may not be listed:

Items or memorabilia displaying Nazi / Nazi-related icons, emblems and symbols, including Nazi SS, 3rd Reich and swastika.

Items, documentation or any matter promoting violence, hatred, racial prejudice or religious contempt.

The following items may be listed:

German World War II memorabilia that does not exhibit emblems, symbols or icons referring to the Nazi's (as indicated above).

German stamps and coins produced during the World War II period.

Books and documentaries detailing world history and events revolving around the World War II time period (which may exhibit imagery referencing Nazi's, the Nazi SS or the swastika).

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/help/444/Listing_Policy

Thank you..

republikein    10
republikein

Why do I get this strange feeling that the war against the Germans still continues, almost 70 years later... what about freedom of trade? Yes I know, the winner of the war makes the rules and the winner enforces these rules ad infinitum. Just an unbiased comment.

Edited by republikein

qball    11
qball
Why do I get this strange feeling that the war against the Germans still continues, almost 70 years later... what about freedom of trade? Yes I know, the winner of the war makes the rules and the winner enforce these rule ad infinitum. Just an unbiased comment.

This issue is purely about legal liability. Freedom of trade does not trump protection of an individual's rights. These items create legal liability for our website and for the seller concerned, therefore we must be prudent and take steps to protect our users and our website from possible prosecution and liability.

republikein    10
republikein

Admin, I get your drift... but does this policy for example includes the display of the hammer and sickle emblem, as maybe a hundred million more died under the hammer than under the swastika?

qball    11
qball
Admin, I get your drift... but does this policy for example includes the display of the hammer and sickle emblem, as maybe a hundred million more died under the hammer than under the swastika?

No, as no cases have been brought against bidorbuy sellers nor bidorbuy. Ebay lost several highly publicised cases relating to Nazi items being sold on their site, costing them millions of dollars, we do not want to be in the same boat. We have in the past received legal action relating to these items. We have never received complaints about Russian items.

jogesel    10
jogesel

Are you guys at BOB for real? Ebay law suits determines your policies! Yes, the Americans sue at the drop of a hat. I doubt whether South Africans would do the same.

I would be interested to know what "legal action" you have received regarding Nazi memorabilia and from who. In Germany and some parts of Europe there are specific laws against selling such items.

As far as I am aware this is South Africa and I am not aware of any laws which state that the possession or selling of these items is illegal. Could you refer me to such laws? If there are no such laws then why stop the sale of these items? What about freedom of trade and freedom of expression?

If someone is offended by these items then the onus is up to them to show why the item should be banned. If an item is shown to offend then remove the item. Simply banning something because you anticipate adverse consequences is not a valid reason for banning it. Are we in the apartheid days again where we can just ban something because we can?

Why don't you ban the listing of adult material? This offends me? Why don't you ban the listing of all material in militaria which relates to the SADF and the border war? This offends me? Why don't you ban the listing of all religious material? This offends me. Why don't you ban listings of the old South African flag? This offends me. Why don't you ban listings of books and dvds on torture? This offends me.The list can go on and on.

Where do you draw the line? If something is not illegal why ban it? Surely you should allow the listing of any material which is not illegal until somebody complains about it. Of the 50 plus million people in South Africa how many will truely be offended by the selling of Nazi material on BOB?

qball    11
qball

These items are not illegal. However, we have received legal letters with intent to lodge civil claims against us and the sellers involved. As such we take steps to protect our business and our sellers. This is our website, we determine what the policies will be.

Thread will be closed now.