Sign in to follow this  
jp_strydom

Auction closes before the specified time?!

jp_strydom

Hi...I'm new to this and I gotta say I'm really enjoying the experience!

Just a quick question to the experienced users...what are the rules/regulations regarding when an auction was initially said to close vs when it actually does?I was bidding on an item and the Seller specified that the auction closes at 20h00 on 29 Dec 2013...when I went to increase my bid (I was out bid and e-mail notified) quite some time elapsed before a I decided to increase (I remembered the 20h00 closing time right?) but when I logged on I saw that the auction has closed about 4 hours before the Seller said it would...I'm quite upset I lost that bid but I would just like to know if I misunderstood the rules or if I was the sufferer of a terrible crime...hehe:bigsmile:

I'm looking forward to the replies...hopefully I can help some "newby" out some day!

Regards

admin

Hi jp_strydom,

153455_131206133559_welcome_e0.gif

The seller can close the auction at anytime when they are satisfied with the current winning bid. If you really want an item, it is best to bid your maximum amount with your first bid, making it an auto bid.

jp_strydom

Oh ok...so the Seller still has ultimate authority!however...this can easily be falsely interpreted as "shill bidding" (if I'm using the term correctly)?I mean...the Seller probably had good enough reasons to decide to close the bidding earlier but I can't help thinking that "buyer rating" plays a big role (eg if I were to decide to close a bid prematurely, a good Buyer rating and/or a great bid would be the things I look at)...the highest bid in my case wasnt much higher than mine and the rating is "unknown" (ie new guy/gal like me)...

Owel...I just wanted to clear that up...I'm sure there was no foul play involved...guess that's what it feels like to lose at auction!

G'night!

Colin_P

I personally don't agree that the seller should be allowed to close whenever they feel like it, and if it happens to me, I'll treat it the same way that I would when discovering a few rude comments to buyers in the feedback - I'd walk away and avoid that seller in the future.

I'm here to buy stuff from time to time, not play games, and if the seller is in the habit of chopping and changing things around then I don't need the hassle of dealing with someone like that, so I'll pass by and bide my time until something else comes.

NooNooBug

Makes no sense to close early if you have more than 1 buyer interested & actively bidding ! As a Seller I have on occassion closed an auction early but those have been in cases where the item had previously been listed with little interest and when relisted had a request for early closure with a reasonable offer. Have had offers to close early but if item getting lots of views or on watchlist then my feeling is to NOT close early as there may be someone else interested. If you feel there was anything strange then report it to Community Watch.

admin
If you feel there was anything strange then report it to Community Watch.

That was the first thing I looked for, no link could be found :cool:

Colin_P

Closing early while your shill bidder is leading is surely a pretty dumb move?

admin
Closing early while your shill bidder is leading is surely a pretty dumb move?

Speaking in general and not about this seller, shill bidders will rather pay the x amount success fee than "loose" the item.

Colin_P

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks.

Just honing my skills for if I decide to start selling ;-)