Sign in to follow this  
Sugarfish

Unfair Postage

Sugarfish    10
Sugarfish

We recently bid on five comics as a lot on Crazy Wednesday and ended up paying R145 postage. R45 for one comic and R25 for each of the other comics. We bought the comics as a lot and now have to pay individual postage for each comic. How fair is that? I can guarantee they will come in one package.

Postage should be for the cost to send the item and for packaging not to get more money for your items. The seller said nothing about this in his decription. Under postage he said R45 for 1st item and R25 for additional items. Now we often buy on bidorbuy and most sellers mean this for combine postage. For when you bid and win more than one item from them.

I thought the whole point behind Crazy Auctions was to take your chances and cut your losses if it so happens? It apears it is Is ok to recover "losses" with excessive postage? I will think twice before bidding on Crazy Wednedsay. It is just not worth it.

I am very disappointed.

voldermort    10
voldermort
We recently bid on five comics as a lot on Crazy Wednesday and ended up paying R145 postage. R45 for one comic and R25 for each of the other comics. We bought the comics as a lot and now have to pay individual postage for each comic. How fair is that? I can guarantee they will come in one package.

Postage should be for the cost to send the item and for packaging not to get more money for your items. The seller said nothing about this in his decription. Under postage he said R45 for 1st item and R25 for additional items. Now we often buy on bidorbuy and most sellers mean this for combine postage. For when you bid and win more than one item from them.

I thought the whole point behind Crazy Auctions was to take your chances and cut your losses if it so happens? It apears it is Is ok to recover "losses" with excessive postage? I will think twice before bidding on Crazy Wednedsay. It is just not worth it.

I am very disappointed.

This has been discussed time & time again - there are a lot of sellers ripping buyers off with postage which is the reason why it is best never to assume - before bidding/buying anything click on the question button & ask, that way you will be sure of all costs involved. However I do believe that if x amount of items are sold as one lot, the postage reflected should be just that eg: R45.00 the lot, if I were in your shoes I would pay R45.00 postage, demand postage of my items & if I get any backchat I would report him to Bid or Buy.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I bought items last night which also had a combining fee. Won 19 items at R1, but the shipping alone totals R414!

Understandable if the items are large / bulky, but total weight of these items should be around 2-3 kg only so the profit in shipping is ridiculous!

I asked the seller if he / she could come up with a better price on the shipping and they declined.

alloway65    10
alloway65

I bought 4 items last night as well not at R1 unfortunately, quite small items, but every additional item was R39.00 for postage...a rip off but the overall cost was worth it.

JANDS    10
JANDS

You as the buyer hold the power with a simple click. I would respectfully suggest negotiation before that click and if you even sniff belligerence or a bad attitude, forget the item and move on, you will probably get stung.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Only reason I did not mind the combination fee is because I only bid R1 on each item and the price at the shops per item is more than the item plus fee.

Suppose one only cringes at the principle of the matter as the seller is clearly roping in the profit in the shipping fees (thus avoiding success fees like the rest of us honest folk fork out).

dstorm    10
dstorm

About six weeks (or so) ago, I explained to / questioned a seller who had ridiculous postage fees. He reported me to community watch and I got a friendly warning from bidorbuy for abusing the Q and A system!

BoB seemed to swallow his excuses that his postage costs included all sorts of wonderful fancy ideas.

Let the buyer beware.

alloway65    10
alloway65

So how can one discuss with a seller their excessive postage fees if not through the Q & A system, if one has not dealt with this seller before?

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug
... The seller said nothing about this in his decription. Under postage he said R45 for 1st item and R25 for additional items. ....

Technically you paid the "correct" postage as per the description which is actually clear, unless you bought a "lot" for one bid . However the per additional item is clearly excessive & WAY over the actual cost. As we all know an extra kilo on a parcel isn't even R5 so is this seller trying to say that each comic weighs in at a hefty 5 kg ? Or is he needing loads more packing material ? Sounds VERY fishy and eventhough you did place a bid with those conditions in place I would still contact BoB to voice your dissatisfaction. For future if you see things like that report it on the listed item (button top right).

Rambeo    10
Rambeo

Reading each persons coment here, is quite interesting. But facts at the end of the day is that the seller clearly stated postage. If you were unsure or unhappy with postage you had two options Question them on it through Q&A or report the abuse to BoB through the "Report a Problem tab" normally when challenged, the seller will respond and allow leeway on the postage with the excuse that there postge is in general blah blah and in this case *** could be combined at much less cost. BoB often does investigate " time permitting that is " And requests a postage cost breakdown from the seller. To question the fact after having bid will never result in a good outcome, so it would then be best to rather just not bid on the item/s and hunt a new bargain. As for the abuse on Q&A. Now dstorm were there any heavy words used or had the Q&A session stared looking like a book and thus it was seen as abuse. Because a simple question to with postage can definitley not be seen as abuse.

Anyway, just my thought and opinion.

qball    11
qball

Please report any abuse of postage costs to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za. The investigations may take time, especially over this time of the year as many sellers may already be on holiday.

Sellers should use their discretion in these instances where a large number of goods are bought, they should combine and pass on the saving to the buyer, as opposed to "strictly" sticking to their shipping terms.

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

Some of the sellers exorbitant postal charges makes it cheaper for me to buy the items elsewhere. (not on Bob). Everyone wants a bargain, if I list an item on a R1 auction I expect R1 anything more then that is gravy.

I had my eye on a few games from 2 different sellers.

Seller A had two games which I can buy elsewhere for R350, they went for R202 plus SS shipping of R126, hardly worth it.

Seller B had two games as well, elsewhere they would cost me R199, they went for R122, plus SS shipping of R120 or Economail R77, no brainer.

I take my time these days, I dont bid until I have read the postage/shipping costs.

Anyway.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Sugarfish, this has happened to my partner with comics (wonder if it's the same person) - he cancelled the sale. Seller was very rude but that's now one less seller to buy from. The list grows. I have become so wary of Crazy Wednesday these days.

I had a ridiculous combining fee charged to me too - the seller admitted that the postage made up for the loss in selling price, which I pointed out was not allowed. She just didn't get it - or seemed to think she'd get away with it. BOB, after me being tenacious regarding this case (a lot of people would have given up due to the lack of feedback from them), sorted it out. But I see this seller is trying new ways to make a buck - someone obviously complained about her 'pick-up in person' charges so now she charges the same amount in storage per day for every day after the sale you don't fetch the item. *sigh* I won't touch this sellers stuff with a barge pole, even though there have been many items of hers I'd have loved to bid on. So... her loss - am sure I'm not the only one fed up with her.

I check ratings now, even the positives - if there is the slightest hint of cheating with postage costs, I won't bother to bid. I'm tired of it.

And, what I don't understand, is that there are amazing, long-standing BOB sellers that do not overcharge for postage, send items beautifully packaged and are still going strong selling on Crazy Wednesday. It shows that one needn't make money from postage at all.

Rant over....

JANDS    10
JANDS

I would not call your eloquence back there a "rant" Booksallsizes. Regarding the ratings; what I find most interesting about a study of ratings, is the answers to the neutral and negative ratings, tells me much about the character of the seller and what I may expect were I to deal with them.

I would suggest putting desire aside if there is the slightest inkling of a hesitation in your assessment of the seller. However much of a "bargain" it may seem, that little voice you ignore because desire shouts so loud......that voice is rarely wrong.

I wish you all a peaceful time ahead.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

I too read the replies to the negatives, it often tells you more than the rating comments themselves do.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Exactly, JANDS. The responses to negative ratings are extremely telling. Even more so, the fact that they are there for everyone to see and so... why does it not dawn on sellers that rudeness in the reply reflects even more negatively than the negative rating?

Anyway - hope your postage issue was sorted out, Sugarfish. And a wonderful festive season to all.

rayll    10
rayll

Unfortunately we have all been down this road , some sellers make a nice profit on postage - example - look at the Post Office sticker and see it was R21.50 and he asked R40. postage !!

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Starting September last, I send a scanned copy of the USPS Customs Form which shows 'everything' (date / time posted, declared value, receiving clerk's signature, tracking number AND postage costs. If the 'actual' amount (at the Post Office) is less than the amount calculated USPS website, I revert the overage back to my Buyer. If the actual cost to ship is more than the 'guestimate', I "eat" the difference. This way, my Buyer knows the EXACT cost for shipping.... down to the penny.

Ruthie

JANDS    10
JANDS
Unfortunately we have all been down this road , some sellers make a nice profit on postage - example - look at the Post Office sticker and see it was R21.50 and he asked R40. postage !!

Hello there. I buy and sell and in the early days felt much the same as you do as a buyer. Please keep in mind that safely prepared parcels in neat packaging cost the seller money. This is not a lot and one can usually do this part for anywhere from 4-00 to 10-00 depending on fragility, size and weight. Personally I ship within 24 hours of payment, which means I drive to the Post Office especially for the buyer. I charge neither an AA rate nor my actual diesel costs, but would round off say 29-50 to 35-00. Then there is the actual time spent on the whole exercise......another story entirely.

I by no means condone the low-lifes who profit from shipping, may their parcels get stuck indefinitely at some Post Office on the Ivory Coast, but, consider that "Postage" does not mean only the Post Office fee.

I wish you a good day.

cp27    10
cp27

Jands, My sentiments exactly.