Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

Closing of auction rules

jogesel

Just curious about the rules regarding the closing of auctions.

I always see sellers stating that they have the right to close their auctions early.

This also happens with the Crazy Wednesday auctions.

See for example - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/124748128/Tata_Indigo_2008_1_4_GLX_LATE_ENTRY.html

Where the seller states - "Make me an offer and I will close the auction early."

I was under the impresiion that some auctions, particularly the Crazy Wednesdays, had to run their course and could not be closed early.

I hate when I see this type of wording in a listing because I think it is unfair to buyers.

What if I made the top bid on the car above and then just before close I spotted a better deal. Would the seller be happy if I said to him I am deleting my bid because I have seen a better deal elsewhere?

If sellers can close auctions early to get better deals then why can't buyers just delete their bids if they can get better deals?

ATA STAMP CENTRE
Just curious about the rules regarding the closing of auctions.

I always see sellers stating that they have the right to close their auctions early.

This also happens with the Crazy Wednesday auctions.

See for example - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/124748128/Tata_Indigo_2008_1_4_GLX_LATE_ENTRY.html

Where the seller states - "Make me an offer and I will close the auction early."

I was under the impresiion that some auctions, particularly the Crazy Wednesdays, had to run their course and could not be closed early.

I hate when I see this type of wording in a listing because I think it is unfair to buyers.

What if I made the top bid on the car above and then just before close I spotted a better deal. Would the seller be happy if I said to him I am deleting my bid because I have seen a better deal elsewhere?

If sellers can close auctions early to get better deals then why can't buyers just delete their bids if they can get better deals?

Buyers can ask for their bids to be deleted at any time and sellers must comply.

If a seller is happy with the bid and price his item has realised there is nothing sinister in closing the bid .This helps to ensure that buyers bid early and cuts out ambush bidding.

I personally never close items early but am merely stating the obvious.

neil

jogesel

Hi ATA Stamp Center.

You state that "buyers can ask for their bids to be deleted at any time and sellers must comply".

If this is a rule then why do sellers flaunt it?

Why then do sellers also indicate in their listings -"All bids are final and cannot be deleted." Meaning that that the buyer cannot request that his bid be deleted.

See for example the listing - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/127887587/_NEW_LATEST_MODEL_ROLEX_EXPLORER_II_WHITE_DIAL_100_BRAND_NEW_UNWORN.html

It seems that sellers want to have their cake and eat it.

If sellers can just close early and then also refuse buyers the right to delete their bids it seems that the rules of auctions are heavily weighted in favour of sellers.

kebs

Sellers must delete a bid on an auction if requested by the buyer - the consumer act states so, not just bidorbuy. If you see a listing where a seller states they will not delete bids, use the report a problem button on the page & inform community watch. This is for auctions though, "buy-it-nows" are different ( the link you have is for a buy-it-now, not auction). For buy-it-nows, the sale is final. The buyer can request the sale to be canceled, but at the risk of receiving negative feedback.

jogesel

OK that makes it clearer now. Thanks.