Sign in to follow this  
lilythepink

How NOT to pay for e-tolls ...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I hadn't noticed it. I wonder if that wasn't written "thumb in cheek"?

jogesel    10
jogesel

It sounds good in theory but in practice it is hardly likely to work. In any normal society this would work. What is stated in the article assumes that the government and the police in South Africa abide by the rule of law and respect your rights. Do they?

The only problem with this theory is what happens if you are stopped at a roadblock. Should you be stopped at a roadblock see how many rights you have? The police officer is not going to worry whether you have sent registered letters or have requested details of the infringement. He won’t be interested in your story. All he will see is that you have unpaid fines or toll fees etc. and will take you to an ATM so that you can pay your fines/toll fees.

Should you persist with your story about registered letters, proof of infringement etc. he will have no hesitation in locking you up and letting you show your letters to a court. Even if you are in the right!

Most police officers don’t even know the law so what makes people think they will obey the law. Many people have been locked up where they have outstanding fines which were not sent to them by registered post or where they were not even aware of the fines because of the poor postal system. The policeman at the roadblock does not regard this non-notification as an excuse.

What makes people think that the situation with toll fees will be any different?

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

2013-12-05-0920-56.jpg.7fb97265afb96b739d62398e68515669.jpgThey are going to throw us in "The slammer"

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello jogesel

As far as I know the police or traffic department has nothing as in nothing to do with e-tolls. Legally, It will be seen in the same way as not paying your Edgars account for example. Do not be intimidated.

From a Gautenger

Keep well and regards

Jacques

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I agree with Jacques. E-tolls and traffic officials have nothing to do with one another.

But I must admit I'm glad that I don't live along, or travel on, the e-toll route. I am still not sure whether I would have registered or bought an e-toll tag. It's all a bloody money-making racket.

jogesel    10
jogesel

Hi Jacques the police and traffic officials may have nothing to do with etolls but they have to uphold the law. The paying of toll fees is a law of the country whether you like it or not. By not paying for tolls and using the roads for free you are breaking the law. Not paying your account at Edgars is one thing but not paying the government is another. Do you think this government will stand by and do nothing while losing a great source of income? What instructions do you think the authorities have given the police and traffic officials? To ignore non-compliance or to clamp down as hard as possible?

Who do the police and traffic officials work for? They won't care about an unpaid Edgars account but they will try to intimidate motorists who they see using the roads for free and whom they see as flaunting the law.

If you believe that police and traffic officials will have nothing to do with etolls then you may as well believe that there are no potholes in the roads or that our tax money is not watsed and that there is no corruption.

This is one battle that the government does not want to lose and they will do everything in their power to win it. They will use all resources available to them including in my view the police and traffic officials.

admin    0
admin

The Violations Processing Centre (VPC) is the debt collection division within SANRAL responsible for the collection and processing of overdue e-toll transactions for non-registered and registered e-toll Account Holders.

If e-toll transactions are not paid within the seven day grace period, these transactions are handed over to the the Violations Processing Centre (VPC). The overdue e-toll transactions will increase to the Alternative user e-toll tariffs and the discounts will be forfeited. A debt collection and prosecution process will commence.

Within the the Violations Processing Centre (VPC), the owner of a vehicle that was used for the e-toll transaction/s which are overdue, is identified and a Violations Processing Centre (VPC) Account is opened.

Notices, invoices, statements and transaction reports are sent to the e-toll account holder (if registered) as well as the owner of the vehicle.

http://www.sanral.co.za/e-toll/index.php?gort_xml+template~~menu/main~~L1_11838

Edited by admin

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Yes, Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) apparently have NO RIGHT to be attempting to collect fines for non-payment of e-tolls. SANRAL has its own collection methods.

Rambeo    10
Rambeo

Just a thought to throw out there. During the Violations Processing Centre (VPC) processing. If they send you sumons etc. and you do not comply the judicial system kicks in. Which mean s warrant of arrest is issued and then the SAPS and JMPD come into play. Also vehicle registration and licencing can be refused if there are violations just like in the case of outstanding fines. So yes they can not do anything to you until you make yourself a criminal. Also you can be blacklisted and debt collection i.e. sheriff of court can atach assets to cover all costs. Many peeople believe that this process will take a long time and expect the system to fail by then, but then if it doesn't well. SANRAL will eventually get paid. Just as jogesel said, you are fighting the government here.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Why they don't just give up and scrap e-tolls completely is beyond my belief! All the additional costs being incurred with the stupid mistakes and ridiculous billing are beyond belief.

Again - I'm glad I live in the impoverished Eastern Cape where e-tolls would never work anyway! :hm:

RISadler    10
RISadler
... the police and traffic officials may have nothing to do with etolls but they have to uphold the law.

This'll be great, as it then creates a precedent so that SAPS and Prov.Traffic may legally enforce the regulations regarding the movement of horses and game (particularly zebras) in order to combat AHS (African Horsesickness).

RISadler    10
RISadler
If you believe that police and traffic officials will have nothing to do with etolls then you may as well believe that there are no potholes in the roads or that our tax money is not watsed and that there is no corruption.

I live in the Western Cape and haven't seen a pothole since 2005 or thereabouts. Guess they're extinct over here!

rezizter    10
rezizter

Reminds me of this pic

58f5a75039c86_SunRail.jpg.5b34bf50aee2f1485f9fddef7cc8d3b0.jpg