Sign in to follow this  
troymanq

Postage with Insurance cover

troymanq

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has taken an insurance option or where seller automatically works this into the shipping fee calculation, only to find on receiving parcel - it was sent without any postal insurance. Its happened a few times with me and I just want to know how prevalent this practice is, whether intentional or not. A few rands here and there and this becomes easy money. I'm sure some buyers don't even check, unless something goes wrong.

One seller told me it didn't matter, because had item been 'lost' he would have sent a replacement. Sellers can't make up their own insurance and take money for it. Its illegal.

Buyers, thoughts?

Little Miss Muffet

I do not insure parcels for the simple reason that I label parcels in a certain way. If they are insured and get lost we have to be able to prove what was in them.

A normal bubble envelope costs +_ R20 postage

I charge R28 and do not insure.

The envelope and other packaging make up the differance--Sometimes postage costs me more than anticipated and I do not ask the buyer to pay the differance.

If the seller adds insurance to the postage and does not insure then it is not right.

lilythepink

Well I always insure my parcels unless the buyer specifically asks me not to do so, in which event I tell the buyer beforehand that loss of the parcel will be the buyer's responsibility!

I am of the firm opinion that there is more safety in sending a parcel by insured mail and, also, I find my parcels arrive at their destination much faster than they would by ordinary parcel mail.

This is just my own experience over the years.

alloway65

In most instances I have flat rates for my shipping where insurance is included no matter what the value.

troymanq

My point was, if a seller charges for insurance - then they should insure the parcel with the Post Office and not pocket the money and claim to be acting as an insurer. If a seller wants to do this and open themselves up for scrutiny by the FSB, then they need to be transparent about it, because when I choose to insure an item on BoB, I expect it to be covered by the Post Office and not the seller him/herself.

lilythepink

I absolutely agree that if a buyer pays for insured postage, that is exactly how his purchase should be sent - INSURED mail.

It is tantamount to theft to charge a buyer for something he does not receive!