Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

A response to "lots of issues that can be resolved

jogesel

I think that the poster is very generous in saying that "some complaints are justified". In my view the majority of complaints are justified. Here are my experiences as a buyer and some other issues which I think need to be resolved.

What makes a good seller?

A seller who is requested to give you information about the km done on a car which he is selling, and also whether or not the car has been in an accident, remains absolutely silent.

A seller who when requested to provide information about the processor in a computer has not checked his product and -

1 Has just closed the office

2 Is in the car travelling to the office

3 Is in a meeting or on the way to a meeting

And never gets back to you.

A seller who is afraid to put in the listing that his watches are actually made in China or uses Chinese parts and is not a Swiss quality watch made in Germany or Switzerland as he would lead you to believe and charges exorbitant prices for cheap Asian made watches.

A seller who claims a fake watch is genuine and inherited but has no box and papers to confirm authenticity. Seller also has problems providing the serial number of the watch.

A seller so greedy to make profit that he continuously lists his products in the wrong category.

A seller obviously with something to hide because he never gets back to you about queries on his products.

A seller who lists his product as gold and you have to question him to find out that it is only gold plated.

A seller who tries to sell something at 3 times the actual price and hopes that nobody will notice.

A seller who tries to justify inflated prices by saying that the product is imported when there are actually no import duties payable on that particular item to justify the high cost of the product.

A seller who won’t tell you if his product is a refurbished model or a demo model.

A seller who advertises his product, which is readily available everywhere, as “extremely rare”.

No wonder buyers complain. I could go on and on and on.

These are just some of my recent experiences as a buyer.

Don’t worry sellers. We stupid buyers will continue to support you. Or will we??? We buyers are not all as stupid as you think and your tactics make us wary of all sellers.

A good seller is someone who is honest, who advertises his product accurately, who responds to queries, who is not greedy and who makes his profit but still charges fair prices. Is this so difficult to do?

Are there any such sellers on BOB or is the object of selling on BOB to get as much as possible from the buyer while at the same time providing as little value as possible? I sometimes wonder!

Perhaps BOB needs to monitor sellers more closely.

Trellis

I'm not so sure I fully agree here, I think there are many good sellers and one could say that on-line selling requires more effort to keep clients happy than a brick and mortar type establishment. I fully agree that sellers who misrepresent their items and their costs should be taken to task over these infringements, I don't think bid or buy as a platform can do that which is why this forum should be alive with people highlighting these issues. I stand by my suggestion of upfront full disclosure of pricing on the search page giving a true reflection of cost, to allow the buyer to make an decision about wanting to go further.

It is a founded misconception though that everything from China is cheap and nasty, I have been to China many times, The old China would accept locally low quality items but more and more Chinese demand better quality, it is the international buyer who buys to resell who chooses to import the cheap stuff to try and make a better profit. Retail in China is actually often more expensive than retail here.

I looked at some pots recently was amazed how the cost was low, I could not understand how they made money on making those pots, now you can buy a stainless steel pot for under R20 or you can buy one for R3000 plus. Its easy for us to sit here and only see those R20 pots and say Chinese Junk, this is misdirected frustration when the real blame should be the buyer. When I mean buyer I talk generally a buyer could be a reseller. I think its important to know this.

However back to your topic, its all about misrepresentation sometimes that is honest, especially when a seller has not seen the item, or when the seller is told something from his supplier. sadly this happens. My concern is buyers on bid or buy dont read the description properly and they pay for the shipping or the higher than normal fees. they have the power to stop sellers from employing methods that make items look cheap. Its sad because it harms other honest sellers who you see less of because they are not as visible as they used to be.

Shorty66

Well said Trellis,

Such a petty that Jogesel did not post the " What makes a good seller?" lecture 25 years ago, I could have save thousands in university fees with this quick course. Yes, there are some valued points, but it should not be directed towards sellers in general. Perhaps a "What makes a good buyer" thread should be started, it's alarming to see what good, honest sellers have to cope with!!!

Fashion Police

It also annoys me when products are listed in the wrong categories, or worse, when the same product is listed several times as the seller hopes to expose their product better by copying the listing (or some relist the same item in several different categories). It makes searching for a specific product so frustrating

mrmouse

A seller who is afraid to put in the listing that his watches are actually made in China or uses Chinese parts and is not a Swiss quality watch made in Germany or Switzerland as he would lead you to believe and charges exorbitant prices for cheap Asian made watches.

A seller who claims a fake watch is genuine and inherited but has no box and papers to confirm authenticity. Seller also has problems providing the serial number of the watch.

A seller so greedy to make profit that he continuously lists his products in the wrong category.

A seller obviously with something to hide because he never gets back to you about queries on his products.

Youre my hero WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pathway

Seller-bashing day? I've been buying on Bob for many years, thousands of items, and can count on one hand the times I've been disappointed. Read the description, check the postage, and ask the seller questions. If the seller doesn't reply, move on. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

voldermort
Seller-bashing day? I've been buying on Bob for many years, thousands of items, and can count on one hand the times I've been disappointed. Read the description, check the postage, and ask the seller questions. If the seller doesn't reply, move on. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Well said! Unfortunately at times greed tends to get in the way & some see what they perceive to be the bargain of the century & when it is not, or rather, when it is not what they wanted it to be, without asking one single question on the item - there is a big song & dance.

Fashion Star
It is a founded misconception though that everything from China is cheap and nasty, I have been to China many times, The old China would accept locally low quality items but more and more Chinese demand better quality, it is the international buyer who buys to resell who chooses to import the cheap stuff to try and make a better profit. Retail in China is actually often more expensive than retail here.

I Totally agree with this. I 'M Chinese, But we are using a quality and good value stuff in China.

Whenever I hear them say that Chinese goods are rubbish, I felt ridiculous.

Market to determine the quality of your product is good or bad.

“What do you expect – you get what you pay for.”

Edited by Fashion Star

jogesel

Sorry to offend any Chinese people about Chinese products. That is not my intention. My own family is part Chinese. The Chinese do make some good quality products but as a watch collector I find that no Chinese watch can come close to a good Swiss watch in respect of quality of materials and workmanship. A number of watch companies (both European and Japanese) now make watches in China because of the cheap labour costs so as to increase profits. Just go to one of the big watch sellers who is on BOB and read the buyer reviews. Many buyers state that when they receive their Chinese watches they are of very poor quality or not even working.

I have no objection to buying anything Chinese as long as it is so marked and I am aware of what I am buying. My gripe is against sellers who refuse to divulge such information and pretend that the Chinese watches are something else.

I was actually very pleased to see this week that the seller whom I referred to in my initial post (Flare Tech) and who never answered my questions about his motor vehicles now been blacklisted by BOB.

Pathway
it also annoys me when products are listed in the wrong categories, or worse, when the same product is listed several times as the seller hopes to expose their product better by copying the listing (or some relist the same item in several different categories). It makes searching for a specific product so frustrating

like!!!!

Mad about Jack
I Totally agree with this. I 'M Chinese, But we are using a quality and good value stuff in China.

Whenever I hear them say that Chinese goods are rubbish, I felt ridiculous.

Market to determine the quality of your product is good or bad.

“What do you expect – you get what you pay for.”

My Sony Xperia Z says "Made In China" on the bottom of the phone and I am over the moon with it.

dstorm

OFF TOPIC

Merry Christmas MAJ!!

Mad about Jack
OFF TOPIC

Merry Christmas MAJ!!

Thank you Jacques ! To everyone on the forum, may you be blessed over the festive season, Merry Christmas.

JANDS
I'm not so sure I fully agree here, I think there are many good sellers and one could say that on-line selling requires more effort to keep clients happy than a brick and mortar type establishment. I fully agree that sellers who misrepresent their items and their costs should be taken to task over these infringements, I don't think bid or buy as a platform can do that which is why this forum should be alive with people highlighting these issues. I stand by my suggestion of upfront full disclosure of pricing on the search page giving a true reflection of cost, to allow the buyer to make an decision about wanting to go further.

I looked at some pots recently was amazed how the cost was low, I could not understand how they made money on making those pots, now you can buy a stainless steel pot for under R20 or you can buy one for R3000 plus. Its easy for us to sit here and only see those R20 pots and say Chinese Junk, this is misdirected frustration when the real blame should be the buyer. When I mean buyer I talk generally a buyer could be a reseller. I think its important to know this.

However back to your topic, its all about misrepresentation sometimes that is honest, especially when a seller has not seen the item, or when the seller is told something from his supplier. sadly this happens. My concern is buyers on bid or buy dont read the description properly and they pay for the shipping or the higher than normal fees. they have the power to stop sellers from employing methods that make items look cheap. Its sad because it harms other honest sellers who you see less of because they are not as visible as they used to be.

Well now......I have not seen you post here before but to a voice of eloquence and calm I can only say "Welcome." I mirror your sentiments.