Sign in to follow this  
Daniel58

Rotated inner on R5 coin

Daniel58    10
Daniel58

Is this possible to be minted like this? Surely this coin was manually modified after it was minted. The inner and outer rings are stamped at the same time. So this inner had to be removed or fell out(unlikely) and then re-inserted the wrong way round. How can this coin be worth anything?

Edited by Daniel58

cp27    10
cp27
Is this possible to be minted like this? Surely this coin was manually modified after it was minted. The inner and outer rings are stamped at the same time. So this inner had to be removed or fell out(unlikely) and then re-inserted the wrong way round. How can this coin be worth anything?

Hi, you are right, the coin is only worth R5. nothing more

alloway65    10
alloway65

Mistakes can happen at the Mint, but with these Bi-metal coins I am sure they are quite easy to manipulate.

Daniel58    10
Daniel58

You are right mistakes do happen at the mint but then it would have to be while someone is trying to fix it. If this happened at the mint I am sure it would just have been discarded. SA mint would not have the time (or inclination) to try and reset the inner ring to the coin. No I am sure this was done after the coin left the mint.

alloway65    10
alloway65

The whole process is automatic, so there would be no manual intervention unless a mechanical, electrical or software fault occurred in the stamping/minting process.

Daniel58    10
Daniel58

Thanks and I agree. This coin was on offer for R500.00.:wub:

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea

Hi Daniel58,

The two parts of bi-metallic coins are actually crimped together during the striking process. The inner planchet (kernel) either has a milled or grooved edge. During the strike the outer ring's metal will flow and fill in the mill or groove. This locks the inner and outer planchets together and prevent it from being loose or to rotate.

. bimetallicSIZE174x100.jpg

There are numerous types of errors with these coins, but this is not one.

bimetal.jpg.154978666dacc57753d41adb5955e6eb.jpg

Edited by Cold Sea

Daniel58    10
Daniel58

Thanks . I agree. Interesting sketch. I knew how it was done but this is the first graphics I have seen of it.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Good Grief ...

Looks like Herman van Noorwyk got a pair of pliers for Christmas ...