Sign in to follow this  
Caro972

Questions

Caro972

Hi there

Can someone please explain to me why, when you ask a seller a question about the goods for sale, it does not always show on the auction page?

I asked a seller how the colour was acheived on some "Green Amethyst", seeing that he stated it was "Unheated", and I received no reply - but my question did not show on the actual auction page.

To-day I asked a seller about their "Burmese" Rubies, and no reply, yet - I do understand that people are busy - but the question also did not come up on the actual auction page. Other questions I have asked show on the seller's auction page, and so do the answers.

The first seller, I wont deal with, and the second seller I have dealt with, and am totally satisfied with my stones, but won't bid if I don't get any answer. However, it is informative for the various buyers to see what questions and answers come up about the goods.

Many thanks

Caro972

Delicious

It will only show on the auction page once they do reply. You can usually also see what other questions they're 'ignoring' once you ask a Q.

I also don't bid if i don't get an answer.

Caro972

Hi there

Thank you for the reply - I now understand how it works - I think it would be better for the buyers if they could see the questions which are being ignored! However, I can see why a seller would ignore a question, when he knows he can't answer, otherwise it will affect his sale, cos then everyone would see anj awkward question. FYI - my second question has been answered, and at length - this seller is very informative!

TopDrawer

green amethyst

Hi Caro, Although rare, you do get unheated green amethyst ( prasiolite), usually it has been heated and or irradiated.

motherearth

Topdrawer, your statement makes no sense at all!! . it would indeed be extremely rare if quote!"you do get unheated green amethyst ( prasiolite), usually it has been heated and or irradiated" !!

for the record Green Quartz is always heated, especially the stuff you see on BOB! , you can call it Amethyst or Praisolite! , at the end of the day it is Quartz, the same as Purple Quartz is Amethyst!! .... what you should be more careful about is synthetic hydrothermal purple Quartz sold as natural Amethyst!! I could post a link to such an item! but no! let's see if the seller is aware first!!

cheers Jeff

TopDrawer

Hi Jeff

I am certainly not an expert nor one for long debates on the forum (neither the time nor the inclination) but this is the information I picked up. If it is proved to be wrong I apologise.

Per GIA:

"Heat treatment is the most common technique for improving the color and marketability of natural amethyst. Interestingly, further heat treatment of amethyst can transform its purple hue into colors that also occur in natural, untreated quartz. Further heating can turn some amethyst transparent green to yellowish green. Few natural occurances of transparent green quartz are known - most quartz of this color is a result of heat treatment. Green quartz, whether natural or treated, is sometimes called prasiolite."

I also read "that as there are more than 20m references to green amethyst on the internet, the term is here to stay, even if it does upset the purists"

Although informed that green amethyst I am selling is unheated I will change the description to "probably heated" to be conservative

With regard to amethyst I am aware that most of the larger and better coloured gems are probably hydothermal and I leave a detailed note to this effect on my auctions. However, I have also been told that without expensive lab analysis only *** and the manufacturer can positively identify a hydrothermal gem.

Cheers

John

Caro972

Hi all

Many thanks for the informative replys - I still feel that all quaestions on an auction should show, whether answered or not. Clearly, the question of Green Amethyst is a buyers decision - they are very beautiful, but buyers should educate themselves better. I personally do not like the term Amethyst to be used with these stones, as Amethyst is accepted as a colour - a certain hue of purple, so green does not fit with in at all. But thats just me.

Caro972