Sign in to follow this  
GPOEL

Volumetric mass charge by the post office -- NOT IN USE ANYMORE

GPOEL

Some time ago the SA Post Office started charging sellers a new rate called volumetric mass, in which the parcel got measured and the charge was calculated according to a formula. This was in most cases more than what it used to be when parcels got charged by mass only. Most sellers adjusted their shipping costs upwards to compensate for this. Now , about 3 weeks ago this system was dropped by the Post Office because they were losing customers to courier companies and other competitors. The memo indicating this National "Change Back" was shown to me by our local Postmaster. Any Post Office persisting with this, is stealing from the public. The problem however is that a multitude of sellers are still using this as an excuse to rip off the buyers. It is not valid anymore ---- PLEASE TAKE NOTE!! :smile:

ATA STAMP CENTRE
Some time ago the SA Post Office started charging sellers a new rate called volumetric mass, in which the parcel got measured and the charge was calculated according to a formula. This was in most cases more than what it used to be when parcels got charged by mass only. Most sellers adjusted their shipping costs upwards to compensate for this. Now , about 3 weeks ago this system was dropped by the Post Office because they were losing customers to courier companies and other competitors. The memo indicating this National "Change Back" was shown to me by our local Postmaster. Any Post Office persisting with this, is stealing from the public. The problem however is that a multitude of sellers are still using this as an excuse to rip off the buyers. It is not valid anymore ---- PLEASE TAKE NOTE!! :smile:

Please do not generalise,if u have a problem with a specific seller doing this ,then please name them or report to comunity watch.

I think the MULTITUDE OF SELLERS is offensive as generalisations always are.There is a MULTITUDE OF ETHICAL SELLERS here on bob who do not rip buyers off,but in fact even compensate for high shipping charges as we understand the ethics and importance of repeat business.

neil

co_bra

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by GPOEL viewpost-right.png

Hi Gpoel.

In some places this system is still in use and definitely "not dropped" as I have been told that my Post office will be converting to this

system in the new year and therefore I will have to revert back to the higher shipping costs when it comes to term.

Co_bra

lilythepink

It all depends upon which clerk is serving you. If you have any doubts about anything, never hesitate to ask for the Postmaster to step in!

kebs

My post office is using this system.. It seems as long as it's a padded envelope, you're safe, but anything else requires a gamble!:weeabooface:

ATA STAMP CENTRE
My post office is using this system.. It seems as long as it's a padded envelope, you're safe, but anything else requires a gamble!:weeabooface:

Its GAMBLE yes,i recently paid R596 for a speed service parcel for items i bought in jhb.

When i received the waybill i noticed the weight is 5.9 kg but due to size of box they charged me 10kg which was R596 IN STEAD OF the R309.00 it should have been.BUT.....they cannot even use a measuring tape!!!!they measured the box at 86 x60 and when i measured it at the counter it was 39 x 10-No thats scary ,if they cant even get the measurements right,how can they even apply the formula they supposed to use.

This was speed service and not normal po delivery but still ,the same staff that are servicing the counters.

NEIL

alloway65

Even courier services get volumetric mass wrong, when I am couriering large shipments of medical supplies, I measure and weigh each carton and take a few photos as evidence should there be a dispute, We have at least two disputes a month...up to now I have won every major dispute. I have told my courier service to properly train their staff to read a tape and use a scale....or just don't bother checking my shipments at all. What education does one need to measure and weigh.

Not1CentMore

This corner of the flat map, 'weight' is subjective. The Postal Clerks seems to get the measurement (h x l x w) correct, but weight depends on whether or not the parcel is put 'square on' the scales or a tad up/down/left/right of center. Some Clerks even set the parcel on the scale to measure which means they are 'messing' with the calibration of the scale over time.

I can weigh a parcel on my USPS calibrated scale at home (calibrated every three months) and when I take it to the Post Office to post, the weight can vary +/- as much as 8-ounces. Then, when I get home, it is revert overpayment of shipping costs to my Buyer or 'eat' the difference between what was quoted and the actual cost to ship (more often than not).

Have long ago figured out this volumetric 'thingy' is just but another way for Government to legally 'steal' our monies. If a parcel weighs, for example 3-lbs, it weighs 3-lbs regardless of how large, or small, the container is.

Methinks perhaps (here anyway) Government should 'sit their hips down' studying-smiley-emoticon_zps23e9c375.gif and figure out ways to fix 'real' problems and stop playing silly games.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

GPOEL
quote_icon.png Originally Posted by GPOEL viewpost-right.png

Hi Gpoel.

In some places this system is still in use and definitely "not dropped" as I have been told that my Post office will be converting to this

system in the new year and therefore I will have to revert back to the higher shipping costs when it comes to term.

Co_bra

If they are still using it, it means they are ignoring the National Memo, just to generate more turnover...

GPOEL

Yes, You are right , there are many "good guys" as well

NooNooBug

Our local PO have no memo with any instructions to do away with the Volumetric Charging. Does anyone have a circular number to quote or a date, that way I will try get a copy of it. So bottom line they are still using volumetric calculations.

amcintyre

It's a total gamble at my local post office. Some times they take out the tape measure; at other times not and they sometimes even guess the weight of the parcels. "Uhh, this one feels like 2 kilograms" :shock: I don't complain as they are generally very friendly towards me and, being a buyer as well as seller, they know me by name and are very accomadating in setting aside my parcels for easier collection.