Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

Fake items

jogesel

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with buying fakes. I have bought a few things and so far, luckily all have turned out to be genuine. I want to buy more but am a bit wary of doing so.

I ask because I was at a shopping mall in JHB recently and spotted tables with loads and loads of fake military badges, clothing and other items. I'm pretty sure that some of the stuff here on BOB must also be fake but how to distinguish the real from the fake.

At the mall it was easy to distinguish most of the fakes from the real stuff by examining the items. It's difficult to tell the difference here on BOB because all the buyer has to go by are photographs and the sellers description.

I would be interested to know if anyone has bought fakes on BOB and which items are the most commonly faked.

lilythepink

The best way of finding out whether things are authentic or not is to ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING.

There is a special place you can click on in a listing to ask the Seller a question. If you want clarification on descriptions or you want more photos of the actual item, ask for them before you bid!

Most of the sellers on Bid or Buy are genuine ones selling only authentic items. But you can't be too careful so look at a Seller's ratings and, if in doubt, don't bid or buy!

GPOEL

There are certain sellers selling fake military badges, but they are in the minority, The quickest way is to look at their ratings given to them by other buyers. Also ask questions, and insist on a money back return policy.....But yes, it is sometimes hard to see on a photo....but gain experience in the meantime.

iconoclasp

Bought a watch (edifice racing edition) from a seller, did all the necessary checks online and once received it one of the dials did not operate as it was supposed to. Took the watch to a reputable watch seller and even they were astounded at the lengths went to, to replicate the original, discussed it nicely with seller, was as surprised as I was and did a full refund. It takes some time to investigate , verify and double check, totally worth it though.

Should any issue arise try and sort it out amicably at first, as this worked for me.

jogesel

Watches are one of the most faked items for sale on sites like BOB and it's not always the expensive brands which are copied. I usually report to BOB those that I do see for sale. However I was specifically asking about military items as I wish to buy more military items and was wondering abiout the incidence of fake militrary goods on BOB. Is it very common or not?

lilythepink

@jogesel - I think when buying items of any sort (including militaria) there is always a chance that an item is not what it is supposed to be.

When I am in doubt about bidding or buying on any item, I always ask what authentication the seller has. If I'm not happy with the answer then I don't take chances.

marelena

What is bidorbuy's policy to replicas and fakes? It is not clear to me as there are many fakes and replicas that come through the woodwork successfully. Could someone please explain? Thank you. marelena

marelena

I have in the past reported 'fake watches' to BOB, but for some reason the Seller was allowed to continue with this practice

qball

Reporting an item is not the same as the item actually being fake. They may be in your opinion "fake", but if it is investigated and no evidence can be found or supplied to substantiate such allegations, we do not remove the item.

We do not allow fakes to be sold - anything that is illegal, techincally should not be listed at all. However, we cannot monitor all listings or items.

No amount of staff will be able to monitor, police nor verify all the items listed on our site, nor any site similar to ours. We currently have over 1.6 million listings. It is physically impossible to inspect and verify the authenticity of an item that may be located 1000 km's away as we have no access to the stock, the seller nor their records. It is a seller's legal responsibility to ensure what they sell is genuine and authentic. I can assure you, no similar site can 100% police and verify every single item listed.

We do give the seller an opportunity to fix the problem first, after all, they are legally responsible for doing so. If the seller resolves the matter and does not do it again then they are given a second chance. The seller is warned and should any further issues be found, then we look at taking further steps.

We are pro-active, there is a lot you do not see that happens, items that get removed daily by our team, who do try to pro-actively monitor the site, in particlar certain categories where incidents are higher. Employing 1 person or 100 people to monitor every seller and every item is physically impossible, not only that, we cannot determine, just by looking at a listing, that the item may be fake.

I am afraid some sellers do not know that they are selling fakes nor that the items they are selling may contravene copyright, trademarks or IP. We are also not experts in any particular field, so for us to make decisions based on simply looking at a listing or a report from a member of the community is not possible. Not everyone is an expert. Do you know how to spot fake software, or a fake coin? I would guess you probably wouldn't... neither would we. That is why we also ask the buyer, who received the item to get it verified and checked out, and if proof is supplied we do take action. We do rely on buyers to inform us, after all, they too have a responsibility to themselves to do the research and ask questions, compare prices etc. We can also ask the seller for proof of authenticity and purchase.

As we always and repeatedly say - buyer beware.

lilythepink

I guess it is up to ALL users on BoB to report anything that looks suspicious or that they want clarifying. BoB's admin are excellent at responding to requests from a user, even though it may take a couple of days to get feedback from them.

Credit needs to be given where credit is due.