Sign in to follow this  
Little Miss Muffet

A early Christmas gift

Little Miss Muffet

I have a mild form of "Latrophobia" (Fear of doctors)

I had to have cataracts removed from my eyes ..I now have plastic lenses.

The one was done last Monday and I could not wait to go this past Monday and have the other one done.

What a fantastic result.I can read without glasses

I am not supposed to be the computer too much for a week or so ,so am only doing the necessary ,whatever that may mean.:awesome:

Cali Craft and Gems

It is brilliant, is it not? Being able to see clearly without glasses!

I had laser surgery (LASIK) about 15 years ago after years of wearing "champagne bottle" lenses for as long as I can remember - almost instantly you could see the difference in one's vision and it felt amazing!

Sadly it does not last forever and now I am starting to need reading glasses for beadwork, but I'm forever grateful for the perfect vision I had for so many years.

lilythepink

So glad to hear that your ops were a success, Pam. May your good sight last for the next century!

NooNooBug

Wonderful gift ! Enjoy it ! Remember to rest your eyes too ! Don't overdo it now !

voldermort

Dimitri has just had his done as well & is totally bedazzled by all that he now can see - however they gave him Spersadex Comp eye drops x 2 = R400, R200 per tiny bottle, is there nothing cheaper out there?

Little Miss Muffet

All the drops were given to me at the hospital.Every 2 hours for 10days but all included in the account R60,000 later. Thank goodness for medical aid

voldermort

Good grief, Dimitri had both eyes done via Somerset Eye Clinic - total cost R35.00. Why do you think I'm stressing about the R200 bottle of eye drops :suspicious:

Little Miss Muffet

Was this through a government hospital.? I went to a doctor with a string of degrees behind her name who is contracted out of medical aid.

Fortunately we have top up medical aid for doctors who contract out so 95% paid by medical aid.

We have natural lenses in our eyes --we cannot see without them These were removed and I now have plastic lenses which apparently last forever.

My neigbour had his eyes done 25 years ago and his eyes are still fine.

I don't think I will be doing much more than pushing up daisies in 25 years time.

Cali Craft and Gems

My late father was one of the pioneers in getting Laser surgery set up in South Africa. He developed most of the programming and the machinery with the assistance of his American counterparts (with lots of training done all over the world).

He had literally just finished the program for the Dept of Health for SA when he passed away suddenly so the work he'd been working on for about 5 years was never released - it died with him as he'd never taught anyone his "secrets". (he'd no sooner hit the save button, was not feeling well, and was gone within 30 minutes!)

You will find that most of the doctors in SA and Namibia were trained by my Dad or had been involved with him at some stage in his life. When LASIK (the original surgery) was first being tested in SA, I had the opportunity to go for it at no charge (at MEDUNSA in those days), but my Dad refused to let me put my eyes at risk as it was still in developmental stages back then (you're talking about 22+ years ago!).

It is reminiscing like this that makes me miss him so much... and makes me realise how many lives he has touched with the work he did for all those years of sacrifices.

NooNooBug

I had my op done in the late 80's when the Lasik was new, but my Dr used to use scalpels ! He was very involved in the surgery in America etc, he didn't use Lasik at that stage ! My eyes worked well for several years , they have deteriorated with age and went back to occassional glasses & now full time multifocals...oh well it was great while it lasted !

alloway65

Very moving & interesting Cali...thank you.

I will have the op next year...I am a little bit nervous I must say.

Little Miss Muffet

Laser surgery is differant to the eye surgery I had.

Interesting about your Dad Cali.It is amazing what the medical profession can do these days.

Cali Craft and Gems

Thanks.

When I went for Lasik, the weirdest sensation was when they had to slice the top off your eye to access the lens, etc - still kinda freaks me out to this day... but it was worth it.

Apparently the cataract procedure is more painful (afterwards) than what I had, but if you can bear it, then it is definitely recommended. The opthamology trade (if you could call it that) has been moving forward in leaps and bounds over the past few years as technology is developed and improved. Amazing...