Sign in to follow this  
Grenhilda

Email scam to obtain buyers Bid or Buy login details

Grenhilda

Hi, sorry if there is already a thread like this as I hardly ever come to the forum, but I had a disturbing situation yesterday. I had a a buyer with no ratings (who only registered with BoB as they wanted the specific item I had.) All went smoothly with the purchase & she paid promptly & the payment reflected immediately. All excellent so far. A little later she phoned me to ask why & if I had sent her an email asking if I could deliver the book to her, or did she want to collect it. The email had the title of the book I sold her in the heading. She found this strange as I had already emailed her with details of how I would post the book & she saw that we do not live in the same town. I asked her to forward the email & it clearly was not from me. This morning she phoned me again & said that she remembered that earlier in the day she had received an email from BoB to update her details & she logged in from the email! Clearly this was where the whole problem originated as a scam. I would just like people to be aware that the BoB name is also being used as a scam to gain people's personal information, & they may be preying on new users. It also has the unfortunate effect that she is going to cancel her BoB registration, although I encouraged her to change her password etc. (I have emailed BoB in this regard as well, but did not have all the information when I did, as she contacted me again this morning.)

admin

Hi Grenhilda,

Welcome to the forums.

That is a classic phishing email, all they do is change the content. Unfortunately it will never stop as they keep having success in catching people.

http://support.bidorbuy.co.za/index.php?/News/NewsItem/View/67/phishing-email-warning

It is a pity she wants to cancel her account as it is not unique to bidorbuy, all one need to do is look at the www addres the link in the email takes you to see that it is not from bidorbuy and when in doubt, ask on the forum or contact bidorbuy via email or phone. As you said, all she needs to do is to change her password..

Grenhilda

Thanks for the reply, it is just the first time I have been affected by it or heard of it in my 2yrs + on BoB. I suppose I have been lucky then.:biggrin:

JohnBenn

I have not heard of this either, thanks for sharing.