Mike Klee

Legality of replica coins

Mike Klee

A few weeks back there was an interesting discussion re the legality of so-called "replica coins" which were being offered for sale on BoB. I decided to determine once and for all the true situation and contacted the SA Mint. The reply- in red bold - to my questions came back as follows and should serve to show that the sale of these replica coins is illegal.1. Who owns the copyright/trademark of out-of-circulation South African coins? Specifically:

·Union of South Africa coins

·ZAR coins

The South African Mint and the South African Reserve Bank (collectively, “SARB Group”) are the proprietors of the Old Coins and inherently own the intellectual property on same, including without limitation copyright and trademark.

2. Is it legal for replicas of the above coins, without any markings on them to show that they are replicas, to be manufactured overseas – or, for that matter, in South Africa – and to be imported and sold in South Africa?

It is unlawful for anyone without the prior written approval of the SARB Group to manufacture, sell or import the Old Coins.

3. Is it legal for anybody to advertise or promote the sale of such replica coins, with or without the word “replica” on them?

The advertisement or promotion of replicas of the Old Coins (with or without the word “replica”) is also unlawful, unless prior written approval of same has granted by the SARB Group.

Mike Klee

I might also add that the reply from the SARB Group was sent to me based on information from the Legal Services Department at the South African Reserve Bank.......

Mike Klee

Hi Scott,

This is really, really off the topic of the legality of replica coins. I was hoping that mywork might help the numismatic community by making it less easy for people to introduce fake/”replica” coins into the South African market, so I respectfullyask you to please not spoil this.

Mike Klee

Edited by Mike Klee
grammer