Sign in to follow this  
chrisc

Increased shipping fee from main advert to checkout

chrisc

Advert for goods states R40,00 shipping

On the checkout page, this is R43,20

I know it is only R3,20,which is 8% more, but if the seller does this often, it inflates his prices. An insurance option was mentioned, for an extra 3% of value. SAPO charge 2% on postal items, so who is pocketing the extra 1%?

Despite the insurance option, the conditions of sale clearly state that the seller is not responsible for non-delivery, partial delivery or damage to items sent.

admin

Hi chrisc,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It seems that the seller charged 8% on insurance and then changed it to 4% (as at this moment), both of which are illegal as SAPO charges 3% for insurance as of April this year.

I have warned the seller to change their insurance accordingly.

Just Beachin

If Insurance is optional, who is to say that it has to be through the SAPO? My personal experience is, all of my packages that have been stolen from the sapo have been insured. Making good on the stolen items, have not only put me out the expense of the items, profit made, but also I have to wait 3 months to recover 1/2 of the money I'm out?

admin
If Insurance is optional, who is to say that it has to be through the SAPO? My personal experience is, all of my packages that have been stolen from the sapo have been insured. Making good on the stolen items, have not only put me out the expense of the items, profit made, but also I have to wait 3 months to recover 1/2 of the money I'm out?

The sellers shipping states "Econoparcel Counter to Counter" that would be with SAPO and the seller changed the shipping to 3% exactly 3 minutes after the notification. Insuring by oneself (the seller) or with a non authorized company is also illegal.

Just Beachin

Thanks for the info, but how does a seller change the amount owed after an auction, I'm not being cheeky here, I just don't understand how this is done?

Just Beachin

The sellers shipping states "Econoparcel Counter to Counter" that would be with SAPO and the seller changed the shipping to 3% exactly 3 minutes after the notification. Insuring by oneself (the seller) or with a non authorized company is also illegal.

With all due respect, Is insuring by ones self or with a non authorized company illegal by bidorbuy rules or by law, and if by law, where might I find it? I am not asking to be annoying, I just need to find out for my own education...cause I don't want to do things wrong either:worried:

admin

Apologies if my reply seemed abrupt, just a bit busy, trying to keep the sentences short. They can't, with all due respect to chrisc, the insurance was 8% ( might have looked like a 3) then changed to 4% which only affected open items, but will show 4% in the closed listing as well, then finally changed to 3%.

admin
With all due respect, Is insuring by ones self or with a non authorized company illegal by bidorbuy rules or by law, and if by law, where might I find it? I am not asking to be annoying, I just need to find out for my own education...cause I don't want to do things wrong either:worried:

Hi Just Beachin,

Apologies for the late reply. Here you go:

Short-Term Insurance Act, 1998 (Act No. 53 of 1998)

7. Registration required in order to carry on short-term insurance business

1)No person shall carry on any kind of short-term insurance business, unless that person--

a)is registered or deemed to be registered as a short-term insurer, and is authorised to carry on the kind of short-term insurance business concerned, under this Act; or

b)is authorised under section 56 to do so, and carries on that business in accordance with this Act.

This might also be interesting to someone while we are on the subject:

http://www.postoffice.co.za/Insuranceact.pdf

lilythepink

Thanks, Andries and everyone else, for drawing my attention to the fact that PO insurance is now 3%.

I still had mine at 2% cause I haven't traded for several months but because of this thread I've got it sorted!

NooNooBug

SAPO also have a minimum insured value set at R100 so no more insuring for under that ! I still see several sellers with 2% insurance and I want to point it out to them but dont want to make them feel I am poking my nose in ! It just annoys me to think SAPO make loads out of us and dont want anyone to be out of pocket in favour of SAPO !

lilythepink

I still send items under R100 by insured mail - perhaps I'm wrong in thinking this but I believe insured parcels have a quicker delivery time AND they are more traceable when a problem occurs. (I had someone who bought something from me in March for R1.00 but I insured it for R100 and he only queried where the parcel was in August! However, because the item had been insured it was traced to the place for undelivered mail and he got his parcel!)