Sign in to follow this  
mentaltree

No delivery address supplied.

mentaltree

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation I am currently facing.

So basically I have sold an item, the buyer completed the checkout and made the payment however he has not provided me with a valid delivery address.

He asked me to deliver the item to mr X "at the ladybrand post office 9745" so I have a post office name + street postal code but no PO Box number. I have sent him numerous emails requesting a PO Box number or residential address for counter to counter shipping but he is not replying.

Now, in his profile he has an address listed in Lesotho but shipping there will of course cost more as it is considered international, this would be fine and dandy if the buyer would pay me the difference for shipping but as he is not communicating with me I cannot get confirmation for that:mad:

The buyer does have a contact number listed but of course it's not a valid number.

What would one do in a situation like this? If push comes to shove I can refund the buyers money but then I will be R3k down:hm:

voldermort

If he has provided you with a Post Office address that is fine - you send it thus:

c/o Mr.xxxx

Ladybrand Post Office

South Africa

then you send him an email with his tracking number & let him know to look out for item at relevant Post Office.

mentaltree

I don't think he will be collecting the item himself though, would that be a problem? Will the Post Office only require the tracking number to release the item or will they need some form of ID as well?

voldermort
I don't think he will be collecting the item himself though, would that be a problem? Will the Post Office only require the tracking number to release the item or will they need some form of ID as well?

If he has given you the Post Office address & his name then he needs to collect it himself as they will require ID for an insured parcel - however on the other hand perhaps he knows somebody at this Post Office who will be releasing it on his behalf? Does he have ratings - this would mean he has bought before therefore I would imagine he knows somebody or somebody perhaps knows family members of his at this Post Office. I would send an email saying "I will be posting item tomorrow to Ladybrand Post Office, however please note that all insured items need to be collected in person with valid ID, if you have somebody else collecting on your behalf please give me this persons name as it needs to be written on parcel - thank you" - then you would address it thus:

Mr. Imaginary Person / c/o Mr xxxx

Ladybrand Post Office

South Africa

voldermort
If he has given you the Post Office address & his name then he needs to collect it himself as they will require ID for an insured parcel - however on the other hand perhaps he knows somebody at this Post Office who will be releasing it on his behalf? Does he have ratings - this would mean he has bought before therefore I would imagine he knows somebody or somebody perhaps knows family members of his at this Post Office. I would send an email saying "I will be posting item tomorrow to Ladybrand Post Office, however please note that all insured items need to be collected in person with valid ID, if you have somebody else collecting on your behalf please give me this persons name as it needs to be written on parcel - thank you" - then you would address it thus:

Mr. Imaginary Person / c/o Mr xxxx

Ladybrand Post Office

South Africa

Forgot to add - the name on the order may very well be the name of the person who is collecting.

mentaltree

OK thanks make sense, thanks. Now just to try and confirm who will be collecting the item from the post office.

Just Beachin

the person with the tracking number, smile your job is done

by the way Voltermort,,,,,,,,LIKE. Like like!!!!

NooNooBug

It all seems fine to me but then I live in the "bush" and not in a city so I am thinking this sounds normal. If you are on a farm and don't necessarily have a PO BOX for post (there are NO street deliveries) because you almost never receive any then your local PO will receive goods on your behalf and to collect (doesn't matter who collects and what name is on parcel as they will need to have ID & tracking number anyway) is then as straightforward as in town ! As long as the buyer has paid, money cleared then post to address given, with name given. Job done ! Don't stress !

SnapDeals

I've been doing this for some time now and the peeps at the post office know me by now. Parcels addressed plainly to "Me, My Post Office, Postcode" works every time - I do not even have to give them the tracking number anymore :D

But in normal cases the post office will release the parcel to the person with the tracking number and valid a ID. In some cases they might be more strict and only release the parcel to the addressed owner with his proof of ID. I've managed to collect parcels and registered letters that ain't in my name without a hitch while they gave my gf hectic resistance on more than one occasion when she were trying to do the same. This will unfortunately differ from post office to post office and from employee to employee.