Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

The Double Nine (99) Paul Kruger ZAR Pond

Pierre_Henri

In all the many years that I have been active on the coin forum, for some reason, I have never placed a link to any of my listings.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/115994501/The_King_of_ZAR_Coinage_The_DOUBLE_NINE_99_1898_Pond_NGC_Graded_MS60.html

But as I am at a dilemma at the moment, I hope that the boys at BoB will allow me this one.

I have an offer on the Double Nine “99” ZAR Pond for R1 500 001.00 (R1.5 million) and the bidder ask me to close. That is actually the reserve price.

If he bids in the next 48 hours as promised, I am going to close immediately as the vendor have endorsed that.

As iemand wil bie op die munt, doen dit nou aangesien ek nie na die tyd verwyte wil hoor nie. Ek tree op in diens en namens die verkoper.

Pierre Henri Nortje

zarmaniac

Congratulations with the sale Pierre and to the new owner, very good for the coinmarket, it is a magnificent coin!

Cold Sea

Last month the coarse beard Burgers pond sold for $154 000.00 incl commissions on Heritage, which works out to roughly the same price as this coin. The mintages are also close with 142 for the Burgers pond and 130 for the 1899 ZAR pond.

As an investment, I wonder which of these two coins would fare best over the medium to long term. From a collector’s point of view, my guess is that the 1899 pond will do better.

coinoisseur

Well done Pierre on the sale of a very rare coin. Well done also to the buyer of the coin.

Not often do you see a coin of this rarity being offered for sale.

Cheers

kyle2

Well done Pierre, it was a real privilege to see one of these on auction here on BoB. :amuse:

Pierre_Henri

Thank you everyone but no Champagne yet

In terms of the sales contract - alll the legal documents have been provided to Cuan at BoB - the buyer have untill the 4th of November to decide.

I will keep everyone up to date – but in the mean time, a big thank you for all the calls and congratulations I have received from well wishers - Werner, Dirk, Anthony, Derick, both Carels, Kern, Gerry from the UK, Bill from Canada, Luke, Alan, Leslie and all those who I have missed.

Without getting philosophical, the truth is that one never really owns a coin – life is just to short for that – you are the guardian of it for a relatively short period – and then it moves on to the next guardian who must also take good care of it until it changes ownership again – and so on and so forth..

Most of the coins in our collections will outlive all of us – so be kind and gentle, and take good care of them.

Pierre

geejay50

Good thoughts Pierre,

As far as growth goes, I was offered an AU58 Double Nine in 2006 for R275,000 but could not get the money together. Till today I am sorry I didnt try harder for that coin.

Congratulations , you deserve to do the deal.

Georg

Little Miss Muffet

When this coin is officially sold and you have sold a few more Will you marry me?

Hang on !! What did hubby say he was worth the other day? I better find out first.

:grin:

Congratulations.!! Nice for Bob too.

Edited by geewhizz

SouthCapeCoins

Hi Pierre

We understand that the sale was never concluded,

Is this true?

Regards,

SouthCapeCoins

FORUMDUDE

I will take 2 please... :nuts:

Pierre_Henri
Hi Pierre

We understand that the sale was never concluded,

Is this true?

Regards,

SouthCapeCoins

Yes, it was not concluded as you know very well as you sold it yourself this past week.

Was it you or your father (or you or your son) that concluded the deal?

Kind regards

Pierre

Cold Sea

Maybe SouthCapeCoins can tell us how much it sold for?

Colin_P

Sounds like SouthCapeCoins is playing games, asking if a coin that they subsequently sold had been sold. Either that or they being subtle but wanting everyone to know that they sold it. Which isn't very subtle...

SouthCapeCoins

Should we wanted everybody to know that has a interest in the sale of this coin there would have been a press

release. We are not asking for recognition.

Subsequently the sale was only concluded a few days after my previous post.

I only asked the question because we believed that some one was trying to rip Pierre and the seller of.

Maybe I should have asked this question in the first place.

Anyway what is done is done.

Coin Sold

Kind Regards,

SouthCapeCoins

Colin_P

Thanks for clearing that up.

Pierre_Henri

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ...

Sounds like SouthCapeCoins is playing games, asking if a coin that they subsequently sold had been sold. Either that or they being subtle but wanting everyone to know that they sold it. Which isn't very subtle...

The person who bought the coin from me on BidorBuy uses the name gcoins. His name is listed as Gerrit Botha from Ruimsig, Roodepoort, Gauteng on BidorBuy and he bought it for a customer of his who lives in Stellenbosch.

My lawyer (Serf Hurter) and I, as well as the seller met up with Gerrit at the buyers home in October last year in Stellenbosch.

The buyer was not happy with the NGC slab as he thought it was tampered with.

My lawyer draw up a contract indicating that we guarantee the authenticity of the coin and slab but the buyer did not sign the contract (a copy of the contract was forwarded to BidorBuy management as well as a few top sellers on BidorBuy). We also send pictures of the coin & slab to NGC but I was never informed on what their response was.

In the mean time, I was contacted by a top ZAR collector via e-mail who asked me if I am sure that the intermediary (Gerrit Botha) surname is not perhaps Du Plooy?

I said I really did not know, so I emailed Gerrit and ask him if his surname is Botha or Du Plooy but he never responded and I have never heard from him again.

Apparently (and I have no proof of this) he is actually a Gerhard / Gerrit du Plooy (and NOT Botha) from Gauteng who used to work for SACoin. If he lied about his real surname then obviously he is a fraud, but as he never dealt on BidorBuy again, how will we know?

If truth be told, I never had the idea that he wished to rip anyone off - he just wanted to conclude the deal and collect his commision. He actually drove right through the night from Gauteng to Stellenbosch (2000 kilos) and returned the same day back to Gauteng without sleeping over. I thought he was mad doing that but each to his own.

For some strange reason - and that is way I responded a bit negatively to Southern Cape Coins question ( I am sorry seeing your answer further down) as I thought it was loaded - when Gerrit/ Gerhard and I, with my lawyer and seller met up with the buyer, Gerrit ask me not to mention the surname Fivaz in front of the buyer as there was some bad blood between them (or so I thought at the time). I was not sure if the buyer was refering to Fivaz Snr or Fivaz Junior and why on earth he asked me that.

He did not say anything negatively about the Fivaz family but just ask me not to mention the surname in front of the potential Stellenbosch buyer.

If anyone wishes to ask me any question regarding this issue, they can reply here, or send me a private message via BidorBuy if he/she thinks it’s too sensitive.

Regards

Pierre Nortje

Edited by Pierre_Henri

SouthCapeCoins

Die Hoogste Bome Vang Die Meeste Wind

SouthCapeCoins