Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

Customs 'Asleep at the Wheel'

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Is there a strike or is everyone just on an extended coffee break in SA Customs? Or a strike at Post Office Hubs and parcels are just 'stacking up' in Customs? Parcels are 'sitting and spinning'.

Two parcels shipped USPS Expedited (10 - 15 day delivery) 09.30 @ 0833hrs arrived SA Customs on the 4th. No movement until yesterday (7th) noon: "Customs clearance processing complete", but hasn't 'moved an inch; no tracking update. Once it leaves SA Customs, it will have to travel SAPO to Buyer... which could take a few days. 'Normally', parcels are in and out of SA Customs in 24-hours.

Just curious....

Ruthie

alloway65    10
alloway65

I doubt it, asleep yes, but expect them to recognize a wheel unless it was made of gold or had 500% duty payable, I don't think so.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Since the 25th at customs. Did not even receive a notification yet.

Already forwarded them the invoice and payment confirmation. Nothing received back from them. :sad2:

PARCEL TRACKING RESULTS

Item Number: RIXXXXXXXXXZA was last scanned on: 2013/09/25 at 05:35

Location last scanned: JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)

Currently has status of: Detention Notice

TRACKING

LINE TYPE DATE TIME BRANCH COMMENTS

1 Detention Notice 2013/09/25 05:35 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)

2 To Customs 2013/09/23 05:20 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)

3 Incomming International 2013/09/22 06:52 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)

alloway65    10
alloway65

I have 10 000 boxes of acupuncture needles being cleared by Customs in Durban at the moment....I am holding my thumbs.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
I have 10 000 boxes of acupuncture needles being cleared by Customs in Durban at the moment....I am holding my thumbs.

Lets hope they dont get "stuck" there.

staccato    10
staccato

I receive a little speaker for a GPS from China, value R6.00, I get charged R33.00 customs!!?? SA customs need to get their act together!

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Must have a lotta Rip van Winkles at Customs, 'cause parcels still show, 'Customs clearance processing complete'. Reckon I should let my Buyers know parcels will be arriving in, oh, say about 20-years :whistling:.

Ruthie

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Just the mention of Customs sends my blood pressure through the roof!

Over the past 8 to 9 weeks I have been driven mad by these imbeciles! Long story short, I noticed on the tracking system that two of my parcels were detained - to date no paperwork or notices have actually been received by me or our post master.

For the first parcel I sent the required documentation through twelve times - you read right - TWELVE! My post master eventually stepped in and the parcel was released after about five weeks. The second parcel was detained on the same day the first one was released - contents were identical as the supplier sent a duplicate parcel due to the bugger up with the first one (gift for attaining a certain purchase level). Now the tricky part comes in - not one person at customs understood the word "gift" as the parcel contains three rings. The first parcel was no problem and they cannot understand how it could have been released at all in the first place. Eventually had to provide an invoice showing zero value to prove my point!

I've been to all possible post office websites and divisions, laid complaints where ever I could, even took matters public on the SAPO Facebook page and was basically told that I'm an idiot for expecting them to release my parcel without hassles! SAPO blames SARS (quite quickly I might add), so when I contacted SARS customs as SAPO said that they had the parcel in their possession, they searched in vain and discovered that the parcel was in the hands of SAPO (which was denied of course).

Now eventually weeks later and the documentation been provided EIGHT times for the second parcel, and with the intervention of our post master, the parcel was released on 2 October.... then it sat "somewhere" not moving an inch!

Post master eventually let rip at someone, somewhere (to whom I had to send the documentation AGAIN), and the parcel should hopefully (finally) be here before the end of the week.

I've decided that from now onwards, if I can avoid using the SAPO for incoming international parcels, I will! I would much rather pay several hundred rands more for courier service knowing that at least they (usually DHL) get parcels delivered in record time!

alloway65    10
alloway65
lets hope they dont get "stuck" there.

like, like

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Heavy sigh of relief.

Both parcels arrived 'safe and sound'.... Ren and Stimpy moment (happy, happy, joy, joy) that they did arrive and with near daily communication with my Buyers (updates as to where in the 'system'), they were pleased. Can't ask for more than that.

Ruthie