Sign in to follow this  
Ilya2005

Genuine Gem Sellers vs Fake Ones

Ilya2005

Hello...

I'm a buyer on BOB who buys nice gems. For the most part, sellers here are honest, trustworthy and totally above-board. When I deal with many of them, it is a totally positive transaction and I always get what I pay for.

However, it's the dealer who shades the truth...sometimes blatantly...that makes me wonder about BOB's commitment to providing a fair and safe market-place for those of us who buy here. For instance, the dealer who says that his/her gems are "natural" when they are clearly not makes the good dealers suffer by comparison.

I can only go by what I've experienced and, judging from what I see being sold on BOB as "natural" gemstones when my experience(s) with that dealer left me burned and holding a worthless synthetic, make me question buying on BOB except very rarely and from dealers whom I can trust implicitly.

My plea to BOB is that when a dealer continuously sells junk as treasure and fake as real, he/she should get some sort of "time out"..say 3 months without being able to sell on BOB...as a warning. Continued violations would merit that dealer being eliminated from BOB completely.

BOB..it's your good name that's being trashed and tarnished. As a buyer, I can go elsewhere to buy online...eBay, GemRock and others. Then, you get less in revenue from a buyer who spends less money and your honest sellers get less revenue themselves.

I think it's time for BOB to take a stand to weed out and root out those sellers who, to quote Rhett Butler in "Gone With The Wind", "Frankly, my dear, don't give a damn."

Just a thought...

Ilya2005

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Ilya, that is exactly why there is a community watch feature. BoB isn't able to weed out the fake sellers without help from the community.

Cali Craft and Gems

I have been in the gem trade for about 8 years and I have given up trying to "guide" some sellers by giving them the correct info for their mislabelled gemstones.

There are many sellers who are either giving the wrong name to a gemstone or who are claiming lab-created items to be natural (Goldstone and Opalite are excellent examples). I have been shouted at, sworn at, and basically told to go where the sun doesn't shine!

At the end of the day all I can do is simply to ensure that MY products are listed honestly and accurately because there is nothing much else I can do beyond that! If other seller's choose to be dishonest, then it is their business... however the wheel will always turn!

Only sad part about it is when the buyer's are done in by these dishonest individuals...

Filmwaster

Dear Ilya2005,

This activity, unfortunately, encompasses the globe.

I have been a practicing graduate gemologist for over 25 years, and it never ceases to amaze me how unscrupulous vendors can be. Their behavior spans from not knowing where their product comes from to out and out deception. Fortunately, they are all not like this.

In fact, today, I had an opportunity to evaluate a gorgeous fancy vivid, slightly orangy-pruplish pink I1, oval diamond. The only problem, it was coated! Someone color-treated the stone to make it into something Mother Nature never intended. I guess on one hand it fills a niche for those customers who desire that which they could never afford, but on the other hand, I certainly hope the retailer disclosed the treatment!

The key to buying anything of value is confidence in the seller. I have not personally purchased anything on bob yet, being a newbie, but even so, you can bet I am asking lots of questions, looking at rating numbers, reading feedback comments, and reviewing photos. Professionalism and credibility goes hand in hand with trust.

Hope this insight helps.

All the Best.

Filmwaster

Edited by Filmwaster
Grammer

alloway65

You should post a link to the errant BoB Seller(s) in question.

I must say I bought quite a few "Earth Mined & Natural" Hydrothermals before I knew better.

Filmwaster
You should post a link to the errant BoB Seller(s) in question.

I must say I bought quite a few "Earth Mined & Natural" Hydrothermals before I knew better.

Hello,

I am not sure what you mean on both accounts?

Would you please explain?

Thank you.

Filmwaster

alloway65
Hello,

I am not sure what you mean on both accounts?

Would you please explain?

Thank you.

Filmwaster

Sorry, I must have had a bad English day!

• What I meant to say was to post links of the errant Gemstone sellers BoB Sales Pages on the BoB Forum.

• When I started on BoB I bought quite a few Hydrothermals which were sold as natural Gemstones mainly from one well known seller, who now sells phones.