Sign in to follow this  
Sanjurg

PROOF LIKE vs PROOF ? HELP ANYONE ?

Sanjurg

Hi

I might be under the wrong understanding and would like for someone to please help regarding this matter , i raise the subject in good faith and to also maybe have better understanding on the above matter . Do not want to step on toes here .

I am under the impression ( after research ) that a "PROOF LIKE - PL" coin is a matter of opinion or eye appeal to a coin with a high mirror image ,usually from the first 100 odd coins struck on a new die , and not specially or intentionally minted for the PL grading .

Where on the contrary PROOF coins are specially struck with polished blanks and dies .

Any constructive opinion to help please ?

jwither
Hi

I might be under the wrong understanding and would like for someone to please help regarding this matter , i raise the subject in good faith and to also maybe have better understanding on the above matter . Do not want to step on toes here .

I am under the impression ( after research ) that a "PROOF LIKE - PL" coin is a matter of opinion or eye appeal to a coin with a high mirror image ,usually from the first 100 odd coins struck on a new die , and not specially or intentionally minted for the PL grading .

Where on the contrary PROOF coins are specially struck with polished blanks and dies .

Any constructive opinion to help please ?

The Special Select Union crowns are PL coins by US grading standards and were specifically made as such. The few others you see in the census are presumably among the first struck from the die but not necessarily the first hundred.

Distinguishing a Special Select from a regular business strike I do not think is that difficult. With the others, its probably similar to the designation of cameo and deep/ultra cameo proofs. I own two CAM and I do not believe they are really that different from others I own that lack this designation. I also own a 1936 shilling (bought from Anthony here on the forum) which is PL on the obverse but apparently not on the reverse, as NGC did not assign it the PL designation.