Sign in to follow this  
Pickle Bearies

Concerned...about drop shipping

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

I am not really sure where to post this but I am rather concerned about BOB and dropshippers...

Recently a new drop shipper arrived on BOB. He is following all the rules and is an authorised drop shipper so I have no complaints about him, my concern lies in the amount of listings he and other drop shippers are loading up...

This particular seller has loaded up 4136 PAGES of items.!! in 7 weeks!!

Am I alone in saying that BOB is going to drown itself in drop shippers.

We small bussiness owners who take the time to craft, source etc our items, photograph them individually and grow over time are being drowned on BOB by this type of thing. Even allowing shops such as Take a lot on bob I question.

When I buy from Take a lot I go directly to them. BOB is where I search for individual items,bargains, second hand goods etc. but these items are now drowning among all these listings and I am finding it harder and harder to find them...what is the result I go elsewhere.

Even as a seller I have grown slowly with time and bob has been a fantastic place to sell my items but I am now looking else where to sell my items as I can not even begin to compete with these guys.

I would like to know what my fellow BOB sellers have to say on this. Do you find that you are being lost?

Perhaps BOB could put in another filter to filter drop shippers? In this way I can search with more ease.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I agree, this is exactly the reason I stopped selling books, one of the top seller's has almost 115 000 books listed, its totally pointless for anyone else to try and depend on selling books in competition with this as I can't see buyers take the time to wade through so many listings.

I went from making decent sales in books when I started on BoB in 2008 to zero or very rare sales by the end of 2012 because of this.

I know BoB makes a good commission from all sellers, but we are being drowned out by these guys and it's really impossible to compete.

I have had to change my products completely.

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

"

I agree, this is exactly the reason I stopped selling books, one of the top seller's has almost 115 000 books listed, its totally pointless for anyone else to try and depend on selling books in competition with this as I can't see buyers take the time to wade through so many listings.

I went from making decent sales in books when I started on BoB in 2008 to zero or very rare sales by the end of 2012 because of this."

This is exactly what I am talking about.

I used to love browsing books on BOB but after Loot and Take a lot came on the scene I stopped this. I still don't buy books on BOB from Loot or take a lot, I buy directly from them but I also no longer buy any books on BOB as to try and wade through all those pages is painful!

I am now finding the same with the clothing category...trying to wade through all that stuff is just too much,.. result I go to ebay as they have a much better filter system for searching exactly for what I need.

The way I see it is that bob is making immediate sales from these guys but in the long run, 5 years further, isn't BOB going to be the looser?

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

100 % agree with you ! My sales have dropped and I think the sales we get are buyers that already are familiar with us or are able to put in a specific description in their search, even then you have to wade through alot ! We are loosing all the casual browser buyers...they are unlikely to scroll through thousands of listings ! Sometimes I just want to see what is new in a catagory I am interested in but after several pages of items from drop shippers, I loose interest and decide not to buy anything...I am sure I cannot be alone in this ! I think the idea of a further filter is a brilliant idea and I would definitely use it !

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

My 2 cent worth....

What about a split category. Local stock vs Dropshipment? Sellers who have their items in stock will list under local stock vs the dropshippers who need to import first.

When browsing items, you can select which option you require.

I realize some dropshippers will still list under the local stock, but then these need to be reported in order to keep the system clean, fair and reliable.

Edited by Miss Jewels

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I think Miss Jewels idea is a good one - seeing as there's still no like button

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

Like:) very much!!

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I really like Miss Jewels' suggestion - absolutely brilliant!

The topic that Pickle Bearies initially mentioned is a major concern - hubby and I discussed this today on our 200km round trip "drive" - he's been begging for something he found on BoB and I warned him that it sounded too good to be true. We checked out the item (and most importantly the seller along with his / her ratings and the small print) and I pointed out to hubby that it would be easier and cheaper to import the item ourselves!

Sellers such as those mentioned in this thread are purely a threat to the "little guy" sellers who are trying to keep their heads above water!

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
I think Miss Jewels idea is a good one - seeing as there's still no like button

58f5a74ada4c3_likebutton.jpg.4d01db311978e02d43f3c1fa6abd1efd.jpg 58f5a74ada4c3_likebutton.jpg.4d01db311978e02d43f3c1fa6abd1efd.jpg 58f5a74ada4c3_likebutton.jpg.4d01db311978e02d43f3c1fa6abd1efd.jpg

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

Well I guess I can stand on my head and act crazy but my past experience tells me that BOB is not going to do any thing about it.

Are you BOB?

dominiquesonline    10
dominiquesonline

I agree 100% with Pickle Bearies concerns.

I think Bid or Buy is making a very foolish business move. Yes, it is profitable now, but where will it take them. With Paypal and importing becoming more and more accessible to online shoppers in SA, Bid or Buy's competition is getting stiff and they will have to improve their act to keep up. The website is crowded with drop shipping and the search filters are not good enough to make shopping a pleasure. If BOB wants to keep the drop shippers we need more search options and filters.

I'm not sure I would bother with a "drop shipping" filter though. Seriously, only sellers really know what drop shippers are. Your average buyer is going to say "What the heck is that?!".

All in all, my biggest issue with BOB is their inability to take any suggestions seriously. Their lack of response to several issues I have brought up in the past has always exasperated and disappointed me.

Personally, I shop more on ebay these days.

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

The aforementioned drop shipper now has 4342 pages of stuff!

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

Not to mention he is also selling dog shock collars...

tanyavdm13    10
tanyavdm13

How's this for drop shipping ?????

Other Baby - Johnson & Johnson Baby Cologne 6.8 oz. was listed ...

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za › Baby › Other Baby‎

Vertaal hierdie bladsy

19 Aug 2013 - Johnson & Johnson Baby Cologne 6.8 oz. in the Other Baby category was listed for R507.33 on 19 Aug at 09:06 by To Shop in Johannesburg ...

tanyavdm13    10
tanyavdm13

Not to mention he is also selling Johnson & Johnson Baby Cologne 6.8 oz. ( 1 x 200 ml bottle) for R507.02!!!!!

And believe it or not someone actually bought and paid for this???????

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

Terrible! In a way it is deceiving people...I mean who would actually think that they would get one bottle of baby cologne for that price!! They should read the listing carefully but as some one mentioned earlier generally only sellers are in the know how about drop shipping.

I reported the shock collars but they are still for sale.

And still no response from BOB.

I Have in the past been very assiduous in reporting illegal activity on BoB . Such as sellers contact details etc... But seeing BOB has very little care for us small sellers I don't think I will be doing this any more.

You do realize it takes a community to make a success?

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I Have in the past been very assiduous in reporting illegal activity on BoB . Such as sellers contact details etc... But seeing BOB has very little care for us small sellers I don't think I will be doing this any more.

You do realize it takes a community to make a success?

Exactly the same reason why I have stopped reporting all the sellers that are selling ebooks that are copyrighted. It contravenes copyright to do that, but they just carry on and nothing happens, I have given up.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

This seller is not even an authorized dropshipper. Where is BoB????Mr Admin????

How's this for drop shipping ?????

Other Baby - Johnson & Johnson Baby Cologne 6.8 oz. was listed ...

www.bidorbuy.co.za › Baby › Other Baby‎

Vertaal hierdie bladsy

19 Aug 2013 - Johnson & Johnson Baby Cologne 6.8 oz. in the Other Baby category was listed for R507.33 on 19 Aug at 09:06 by To Shop in Johannesburg ...

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

I also reported the shock collars ! I have tried to be vigilant and report but often the situation doesn't change. I once reported an item several times before it was finely rectified! Each time I would get the automated response followed by the feedback survey! I haven't got time to keep checking as once I have reported it I presume it has been dealt with ! I don't purposefully LOOK for transgressions, they just happen to get thrown at you sometimes ! (I have started to "ignore" some of them as it isn't worth my time to report - ja I know wrong attitude but I think alot will feel the same !)

qball    10
qball

What people need to realise is that, it's not about what size seller you are. We operate a market place which follows free market principles that are influenced by supply and demand, market and economic factors. We are not going to start implementing "protectionist" strategies because you cannot compete. We cater for all kinds of sellers, small, medium, large, so what you are telling us is that we must not allow any large or medium businesses on the site so that you do not have to compete with them? How is that going to make the site grow and generate more sales for all if we stop these sellers? The site relies on growth, as does any business, to sustain itself.

Can you imagine competing on eBay where some categories have over 1 million listings? That is why we give you the ability to enhance your listings and promote them using the tools provided. Competitive edge revolves around pricing, service and delivery, if you get these right, it won't matter who your competition is.

Regarding drop shipping, we took a decision to stop drop shipping this year (any new applications), unless the seller is a reputable online or traditional retailer, who has systems in place to manage this, as well as formal refund and returns policies. To Shop is a tradefeed partner (and has been added to the authorised list), who actually has access to over 1 million products, however, we have limited their number of listings, as we don't want the site flooded. We are busy looking at the pricing issue, but as many of these items are imported and many that are not available locally, prices may be quite high. It is up to the buyer to decide if they are willing to pay this.

The issue about reporting shock collars is a seperate matter, but if you don't want to report these things, that's entirely your call, short sighted, but your call at the end of the day. Sometimes, there are other issues that require our attention which may be more of a priority than a shock collar. We also won't advise you on every report what action has been taken. Yes, it does take a community to assist us, but the attitude I am seeing from some of you is that we must protect you all the time, and you give nothing back... ? Community is not about taking but also sharing and giving back, if you are not willing to do that then this site has no future, which ultimately will affect every one of you.

Your call folks....

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Thanks for the feedback qball. I found out today that the particular seller was a trade-feed partner.

As to my suggestion regarding local stock vs dropshipments....would BoB consider something like this?

qball    10
qball
Thanks for the feedback qball. I found out today that the particular seller was a trade-feed partner.

As to my suggestion regarding local stock vs dropshipments....would BoB consider something like this?

Thank you for your reply Miss Jewels. We may look at something like this, but logistically it may be difficult due to the fact we do not know where the stock is actually located. When you search for items, you can actually filter out sellers (exclude them from the search results), this was introduced some time ago and announced on the forum. The filter is located on the filter options down the left hand side of the page.

Regarding the seller you refer to, the prices are correct, so effectively if you are selling same or similar items and your price is cheaper you will have competitive advantage over them. The price includes importation, shipping, Rand/Dollar exchange rate etc.

voldermort    10
voldermort

We are busy looking at the pricing issue, but as many of these items are imported and many that are not available locally, prices may be quite high. It is up to the buyer to decide if they are willing to pay this.

The amount of items etc that they are selling doesn't really bother me at all, most of the categories have already been flooded with different dropshippers & as you say, if your prices are competitive & your items are worthwhile, it wont make an iota of difference to your sales. What does bother me though is that yesterday I needed to find an abdominal binder & scrolling through BoB these particular sellers were the only people on the site selling this, priced at between R800 - R1100, ranging from size S R800.00 - XXL R980.00. This morning after phoning a pharmacy not too far away I found & purchased the exact same thing for R150.00, size XXL. That means a mark up of close to R800? I do know & I am always the first to agree buyer beware, but for a new item that is still selling on the market this is simply ridiculous.

Edited by voldermort