Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

Shouldn't there be a law against this?

jogesel    10
jogesel

I spotted a seller selling/auctioning computer games at very reasonable prices.

However when I checked the shipping costs I found the following:

Shipping method Shipping details

• Speed service under 1kg uninsured R120.00 for the first item R60.00 each additional item

• items over 1kg uninsured 4-5 working days R200.00 for the first item R100.00 each additional item

• Courier under 1kg (The Courier Guy) (speed) uninsured R150.00 for the first item R50.00 each additional item

• courier insured under or over 1kg (please contact for quote) R500.00 for each item

• collection only upon confirmation R100.00 for the first item additional items free

Can the shipping of, for example, 2 computer games really be R180?

Am I correct in assuming that if I go to collect the games I would have to pay the seller R 100 for that privilege? Is this in fact legal?

These costs seem very exhorbitant and I wonder why BOB allows them.

qball    11
qball

bidorbuy cannot continually monitor shipping charges. If a user suspects the charges are excessive, please report it to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za for investigation. Our listing policy does cover excessive shipping fees. Thank you.

jogesel    10
jogesel

I have reported and hope to see some action.

AS BOB controls the website it does have a duty/responsibility to look after the interests of potential buyers. That duty cannot be left solely to buyers.

A doctor who sees his patient in agony on the floor won't wait for the patient to report pain but will take pro-active steps to assist, BOB should do likewise.

While continuous monitoring is perhaps not feasible there should at least be some form of monitoring, especially of those sellers who have been reported and found to be in breach of rules.

Surely it would be easy to have a rule which states that if a seller allows collections by the buyer then no fees may be charged.

qball    11
qball

Any market place, including eBay relies on their community to alert them to these issues, as the sites are generally too large to monitor every thing that happens. I think the analogy with the doctors is far removed from this scenario. We do try monitor this but it is very difficult because every seller has different products, different shipping methods and uses different shipping companies. The onus is on the buyer to report it if they feel it is too high. We also look at several other factors when looking at charges - can items be easily combined, are the items fragile, weight, size, seller's location, method of shipment etc.

Rules are only good if people obey them. We have a long list of rules and many people do not seem to read or understand them, and mostly disregard them. Making a rule will not stop this. Vigilance and buyer action will help reduce it.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug
I have reported and hope to see some action.

AS BOB controls the website it does have a duty/responsibility to look after the interests of potential buyers. That duty cannot be left solely to buyers.

A doctor who sees his patient in agony on the floor won't wait for the patient to report pain but will take pro-active steps to assist, BOB should do likewise.

While continuous monitoring is perhaps not feasible there should at least be some form of monitoring, especially of those sellers who have been reported and found to be in breach of rules.

Surely it would be easy to have a rule which states that if a seller allows collections by the buyer then no fees may be charged.

In MHO BoB do monitor and try to sort out issues. transgressions etc but it is impossible to "see" everything that is why it takes ALL users to assist in reporting anything out of hand. Even if you are not going to buy from that Seller, hence the "Report a problem " button available on each listing. Good to hear you have reported it ! That is a start,