Sign in to follow this  
Little Miss Muffet

Red robots and accidents

Little Miss Muffet

I was stationary at a red traffic light today.There was a motobike on my right and a car behind him

When the traffic light changed in our favour the motor bike pulled away and a car came speeding through the red traffic light from the other side.He missed this bike by inches.The car on my my right was half way through the robot and the car that jumped the light had to swerve to avoid him.

It was an unbelievable 2 misses.I ,for the simply reason that a truck blocked the view of the lane next to him,delayed pulling away because I could not see what was going on in that lane.

A number of people died recently when a truck jumped a red traffic light. I can understand jumping an amber light but a red one beats me.:colbert:

YiaYia1

Was involved in an accident a few month ago in PE. Was at a red robot. Turned green but the traffic could not move when next I found a car parked on my boot. The driver behind her pulled away full speed because the robot turned green... Did not care the cars could not move

MiemsJewels

Some people are colour blind!

NooNooBug

My daughter had a bus jump a red light directly in Johannesburg a few months back. Car was written off, thankfully insurance paid out and no serious injuries. The worst was her boot was full of groceries for a braai the next day for her 21st ! Boot popped open and contents was pilfered while she was been attended to by the Paramedic that was in the car next to her ! A lady in the traffic behind her stopped her car and got out and shouted at the thieves ! They ha managed to remove half of the groceries and an inflatable mattress that she had loaned !

Mad about Jack

When a light goes green, I let 3 seconds lapse before I pull away. Seems to frustrate everyone else.

NooNooBug
When a light goes green, I let 3 seconds lapse before I pull away. Seems to frustrate everyone else.

Safest way actually !

Not1CentMore

We have 'eyes' at most major intersections. Pics are snapped and if you 'jump' a caution ('hit the gas' to 'blow through' a yellow) or 'run' a red or don't come to a complete stop before turning right on red, you can expect a nice little surprise package in the mail... ticket with 'appear in court' or fine amount to be paid. And, in Tennessee, if you don't pay your 'moving violation' ticket within the time frame given, your license is suspended.

One of my boys is a long-distance, semi-truck driver. Seems he 'jumped' a yellow in Virginia and they sent the ticket here. He was hopping mad. He remembered the incident and said the tractor was already in the intersection when it turned yellow and he can't stop a 56,000-pound rig 'on a dime'... or try to stop, jack-knife the tractor and trailer, blocking the intersection for the next several hours. He paid the ticket, but I dare not repeat the words that came out of his mouth. If he was younger and a lot shorter (6' 6"), I would have turned him over my knee!

Ruthie

zerohour

great news

Edited by zerohour