Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

Laundry Tip

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Five months ago I bought a Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum washer / dryer. Had to call the repairman for the dryer (already!... thank goodness for warranty) as the 'check vent' light kept coming on on the dryer and there wasn't any lint in the darn thing - empty after every load of clothes I dry - and the flex hose going out the back of the dryer under the house was 'puffy' - air going into it.

Seems the flex hose, under the house, needs to be replaced. There are 'hills' and 'valleys' in the hose and when trapped lint, collects over time, in the 'valleys' get wet from the moisture going out when clothes are drying, it 'swells' and what once may have been a 4" air flow, depending on how much lint has accumulated, may only be a 2" space for the air to move through. Seems the hose should be replaced every three to four years... ah, nearly six, so reckon it is 'past due'. (Same can be said for 'straight' metal vent hose... lint still accumulates, but not as much as 'up, down, up, down, up, down' of a flex hose.)

What I learned (besides I am gonna have to hire someone to crawl under the house to switch out hoses)...

Fabric softener, whether the kind you put in the washer or the sheets you put in the dryer have 'wax' in them. Over time, that wax builds up on the lint catcher in the dryer and slows / stops air movement. He said you can hold it up to the light and you can still see through it... you'd never know the 'wax' was there.

The repairman took the lint catcher out and we went to the kitchen. He turned on the water in the sink and put the lint dohinky under the water. In five months time, there were a few places where the water 'pooled'.... didn't run through like everywhere else. He told me every couple of months, remove the lint trap, take it to the sink, put a little dish soap on it and 'give it a bath'; scrub it down lightly with a toothbrush or soft scrub brush... both sides. Rinse and allow to air dry, then put it back in place in the dryer. Dryer lasts longer and clothes get dryer quicker as the dryer works like it should without the 'wax build-up' (and here I thought that 'wax build-up' only happened on floors).

Ruthie

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

There is an amazing build up of washing powder on clothes too.

Every so often I wash my clothes by hand to give that build up a good rinse out.The water turns grey.

There was an article on UK dailymail about washing recently and they were saying our washing is full of germs unless it is washed on a high heat. The article said there were traces of 1&2

A little leak or fart here and there--know what I mea:rolleyes:n:toung:.:shock:

Edited by geewhizz

wayjen    10
wayjen

Talking about washing and drying. We have a laundromat here at the apartment complex we stay in and it costs $1.50 a load (6 quarters) for washing and then the same for drying well after figuring it out we go and do some laundry. Now my daughter puts some cloth thingy in with the drying but we forget to do it on the one drying load so I open the machine and put it in and we leave. 45 mins later we go back and open the machine and the washing is still damp so we realize it's because we opened it during the cycle so we close up the machine and throw another $1.50 and 45 mins later we collect the washing.

Two days ago I open a machine which was on and it was someone else's machine and I panicked until I pushed the START button and their drying went on as if nothing had happened now if I realized this earlier I would have saved $1.50.