Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

Beware of fake advertising and cheap watches

jogesel    10
jogesel

I note that a number of sellers are claiming to sell high quality Swiss and German watches for cheap prices.

These watches are advertised as being, “established in Hamburg 1888 or established in Zurich 1888” etc. The words German or Swiss or German company appear in bold in the adverts.

Often the seller claims that the watch is made in Germany or made in Switzerland. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most of these watches are made in China with cheap Chinese parts or with mostly Chinese parts and very cheap Swiss or German movements. They may also be made in China with Chinese parts but assembled in Germany. They are referred to by watch enthusiast as Germasian watches. They are in fact just Chinese watches.

These watches have nothing at all to do with Switzerland or Germany except maybe that the company head office is located there. Just because a company does business in Germany does not mean that its watches are made there.

The watches do not bear the words Swiss made or German made on them because in order to qualify as a Swiss watch stringent requirements have to be met. These watches do not meet those requirements. Unless the watch clearly states Swiss or German on it it is an Asian watch.

Being completely Chinese they are extremely overpriced. I think it is very unfair of sellers to give buyers the impression that what they are buying is a watch of German or Swiss quality when in fact all that they are receiving is a cheap Chinese product.

These sellers are also the “sole authorised dealers” for the brand. If you do some research you will find that no watch or jewellery store in the world sells these watches. The reason being is that these watches produced for the online market and are only sold on line. Perhaps no real watch seller wants to sell watches of this quality.

If you ask the seller whether this is a genuine Swiss or German product you usually do not receive a reply.

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

I have also noticed of late it seems that all the watches you have mentioned has a scary indicated market prices. I see a seller is listing Justin men watches with an indicated market price of a R1000.

Then again an item is worth what a buyer will pay.

alloway65    10
alloway65

A few years ago I bought dozens of Justin (Justine) watches as promotional gifts for R1 each...plus postage of course.

alloway65    10
alloway65

I bought one of these Swiss/German/Chinese mechanical watches a while ago, a nice watch for the price...a real give away to the country of origin is the "English" wording for the instructions/guarantee, which was printed on a small piece of white paper and the fact that the watch was roughly wrapped in cling wrap. Shipping excessive but I was aware of this when I bid.

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack
I bought one of these Swiss/German/Chinese mechanical watches a while ago, a nice watch for the price...a real give away to the country of origin is the "English" wording for the instructions/guarantee, which was printed on a small piece of white paper and the fact that the watch was roughly wrapped in cling wrap. Shipping excessive but I was aware of this when I bid.

Like the original poster said Germasian watches. :rolleyes:

jogesel    10
jogesel

I have been contacted by a seller of Germasian watches who insists that the listings which make no mention of the fact that most of these watches are made in China are not misleading. I was advised to stop asking questions and to grow up and get a life. Such a response is very childish and ignores the merits of my arguments. My arguments are not personal in nature against any particular watch seller but an attempt to warn and assist buyers against buying inferior products.

Surely the most important piece of information to give to potential buyers by a seller is that these watches are made in China. This is especially true on BOB where buyers do not have the opportunity to examine the product before purchasing and must rely on the seller’s description. Why hide this fact?

Why misrepresent to buyers through cleverly worded adverts and silence that these watches are made in Germany or Switzerland?

The fact that these watches are Chinese made is always concealed. No seller ever states “Made in China” even though this is true. I wonder why? Could it be that sellers know that Swiss or German sells better than Chinese? Or could it be that they know that fewer people would purchase a product knowing it is made in China. Or that they could not charge the same prices for Chinese watches?

If these sellers do not want to mislead buyers and if they are so honest why then are they so afraid to state “Made in China” in their listings? Why are they afraid to tell the truth about their products? Surely buyers deserve to know the truth about products which they wish to purchase! Not to give relevant information about a product is being deliberately misleading.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
...I was advised to stop asking questions and to grow up and get a life.

Phew - sounds like someone with something to hide? Not nice.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

MsPlod you make my return to the forum all the more pleasant seeing your recent posts! Hugs